Got sold a bad motor!

Burningtire

So back in October i bought a rolling chassis with a "built" 12v motor. Frame was really clean came with a d80 in the rear. It was gonna be my new setup for my pulling truck seeming my old frame was rotted. Anyway i started my rebuild in December stripping my pulling truck all the way down and over time i made progress. So as of a few weeks ago i was at the part where i was ready to try and fire the motor up. I installed a Airdog 2 200gph so i have plenty of fuel.

So heres the good part. So trying to start this motor up and it wont run. Tried a few different things. Put a fuel pressure gauge on there to make sure i had enough fuel. Threw a timing gauge on it to make sure the timing was right. All that was good. So i finally gave up and started working on the front axle. In order to get control arm bolts out i had to remove my down pipe. Took the down pipe off and noticed the turbo had sludge every where on the inside of it. Pulled the turbo off and inside the whole manifold is oil. Now when i bought this he told it was a running motor and if i bought it two weeks earlier i coulda heard it run. He also told me the head was o-ringed. So i pulled the head and guess what? The head isnt o-ringed. Come to find out there's a couple melted pistons and a blown head gasket.

So at this point im pissed. I bought a so called running motor and it doesn't run. First pull is in a couple weeks, and now i gotta swap my old motor in. Im gonna give the guy a call today and let em know hes a ****in liar.

Sorry for the long post, kinda just ranting and raving.

Sorry to hear this. For the most part honest people are getting harder to find these days.
Might be a good idea to give everyone a heads-up with the sellers name and location before he dry humps someone else. $.02

I'm gonna give a call today and see how he handles it. If he gives me the cold shoulder his name and address will be made public. On the plus side it has a nice cam and pump. But that's about it.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Is it just me or is there a new case where someone is getting screwed almost daily here recently?.. It's just rediculous.

Did you inspect the inside of the engine at all? Ie pull the valve cover or check turbo or anything? Its a crappy situation, but I wouldnt trust a person on craigslist as far as I can throw them. If I cant hear it run, I aint buying it.

Good luck with getting everything ready for pull season. Hopefully it works out in the end.

I only inspected it as much as I could. Which is my fault so I can't be fully pissed at him. The manifold that was on the motor when I bought it was clean. No oil in it. So he must have cleaned it. He cleaned most of it to make it look like it wasn't ****ed up. Its just the final straw with people. I just come to the conclusion that I can't trust anyone to be honest.

So what changed in two weeks that prevented the engine from running when you purchased the truck.

So back in October i bought a rolling chassis with a "built" 12v motor. Frame was really clean came with a d80 in the rear. It was gonna be my new setup for my pulling truck seeming my old frame was rotted. Anyway i started my rebuild in December stripping my pulling truck all the way down and over time i made progress. So as of a few weeks ago i was at the part where i was ready to try and fire the motor up. I installed a Airdog 2 200gph so i have plenty of fuel.

So heres the good part. So trying to start this motor up and it wont run. Tried a few different things. Put a fuel pressure gauge on there to make sure i had enough fuel. Threw a timing gauge on it to make sure the timing was right. All that was good. So i finally gave up and started working on the front axle. In order to get control arm bolts out i had to remove my down pipe. Took the down pipe off and noticed the turbo had sludge every where on the inside of it. Pulled the turbo off and inside the whole manifold is oil. Now when i bought this he told it was a running motor and if i bought it two weeks earlier i coulda heard it run. He also told me the head was o-ringed. So i pulled the head and guess what? The head isnt o-ringed. Come to find out there's a couple melted pistons and a blown head gasket.

So at this point im pissed. I bought a so called running motor and it doesn't run. First pull is in a couple weeks, and now i gotta swap my old motor in. Im gonna give the guy a call today and let em know hes a ****in liar.

Sorry for the long post, kinda just ranting and raving.

???

I hope you didn't pay too much for a Motor you didn't Hear run, from a guy on Craigslist.

It was enough money. And yeah its a huge risk buying a motor you don't hear run and I took the risk and got the short end of the stick. Its my fault for that part but still just pissed about the fact there are no honest people around anymore.

Good thing is I still got my other motor. That I know runs.

BTDT on buying bad engines. If a seller can't show me the engine run, then he get's offered core price on it.

The good thing for the OP is, it will never happen to him again, right?

Pics of melted pistons? Does the head run valve seals? Did you put the pump on the motor?

Injection pump was on the motor. I put the airdog on. Kinda ****ty pics it was dark out. Get some better ones this weekend.

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1366919831258.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1366919831258.jpg
    25.1 KB · Views: 0
  • uploadfromtaptalk1366919858681.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1366919858681.jpg
    25.7 KB · Views: 0
  • uploadfromtaptalk1366919878342.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1366919878342.jpg
    35.8 KB · Views: 0
  • uploadfromtaptalk1366919906105.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1366919906105.jpg
    26.5 KB · Views: 0
I'd call him too....but really??? What are you expecting from him?
He knew exactly what he was selling you...why do you think he was selling it in the frost place? And being that he spent the time cleaning stuff up so it looked good from the outside just proves he knew he was screwing ya. (Pulled the intake off and cleaned it...no o ringed head.)

I would expect a FULL refund at the very least, and I would be sharing his name and user name with everyone.

Why are some people so concerned about the people who just screwed them over? I say post their names, and their user name if you know they are members on some forums.
What's the problem with that?? If they refund your money, you can post up that they fixed the situation, and life goes on...
If they don't fix it, everyone at least knows their name/user name, and can steer clear if they try it again anywhere else.

It's up to us as members to try to protect each other from stuff like this happening to each other. I sure don't know everyone on the forums, but sure like it when other members send me PMs about "shady" people who I should stay away from when buying stuff.

I hope everything turns out good for you.

His name is Justin Carlson from cannan CT. Not sure if he has a username. I tried contacting him yesterday and he didn't pick up. I'm gonna try tonight from my buddy's phone who has a CT area code. If he continues to not answer, I'll be taking a trip to his house. Swapping motors this weekend in the puller.

Back