Governor spring shim sizes?

400Magnum

I'm after a little more acceleration onto the highway from the on-ramps so I don't get run over, but I don't want a drag racer or something that's touchy to drive. I just installed a JRE fuel plate and performance isn't what I was hoping it would be, but I haven't adjusted anything with the AFC yet either.

Instead of installing a regular GSK, I was thinking I'd just do the washer shim trick. I found a place where I can buy washers that are close to the right size, but I want to verify that one or the other of these will work before I buy them. My main concern is the outer diameter. I've seen mention of sizes from .91" to just under 1". These washer have an OD of .88". Is that too small?

One washer has an ID of .5", the other is .51", my understanding is that I want just a little over .5, so I'm guessing the .51" may be the better choice.

And, they vary in thickness, one washer is at .048" thick and is held to a close tolerance, the other can vary from .05" to .07", so I'd have to sort thru the box to find two that are close to each other in thickness. My question here is, is the .048" too thin?

Thanks for any help.

Search is your friend.

Really? You're gonna come here and not want touchy or a drag racer? Did you notice the name of the site?

Yes, I did do the search, and I've read all I could find, but nothing that I saw answered the questions that I had. I saw what sizes have been used before, and I am trying to find out if something that I found that is slightly smaller will work or be too small to be effective or not.

Sorry to have bothered you...

.048" is too thin in my opinion. You want .06. And that is for a 160 pump.

Pumps vary and so will the effective shim thickness. Even GSK-spring sets act differently with different pumps. Usually what I've seen is that the advertized rpm ranges are the most accurate with small pumps and not so accurate with 215s. But this is just my opinion.

That's what I've noticed too, that different pumps have different results, and that the 215hp pumps seem to be the most temperamental, so I was thinking a little thinner washer might be better in my case, since I have the 215 pump, but I don't have any personal experience, so I don't know for sure. Just trying to see if I'm on the right track before I tear into it and find out that I spent a lot of time and effort to gain little to nothing.

How about you tighten the stock governor springs 2 clicks and see it it gives you the little extra RPM you're looking for. Otherwise, why not spend 100 bucks and get a real GSK?

How about you tighten the stock governor springs 2 clicks and see it it gives you the little extra RPM you're looking for. Otherwise, why not spend 100 bucks and get a real GSK?

Thats what i did before i bought the 4k kit. Works good but it make the pedal real sensitive.

Well, the biggest reason why I don't want to spend the hundred bucks on a real GSK kit is because the engine in my car just blew up and I am losing my job in a month, if not sooner, and I'd like to save as many pennies as possible. Since it looks like I'm going to be driving the truck for many years to come, I'd like to make it safer to drive, especially when pulling onto the highway from uphill onramps. The 3.55 gears I have don't allow for great acceleration, and I'd like just a little more kick so I can merge into traffic quickly and safely.

I may try just turning them in one click to start with along with doing all the "normal" AFC mods (sliding the housing forward, adjusting the star wheel, etc.) to see if that gets me to a comfortable pace, and if it's good I'll leave it, or go one more to see what I have... Guess I'll have time to mess with it in a month or so, so I'll just take my time and adjust it a little at a time until I get it just where I want it.

That's what I've noticed too, that different pumps have different results, and that the 215hp pumps seem to be the most temperamental, so I was thinking a little thinner washer might be better in my case, since I have the 215 pump, but I don't have any personal experience, so I don't know for sure. Just trying to see if I'm on the right track before I tear into it and find out that I spent a lot of time and effort to gain little to nothing.

You might be on to something with the slightly thinner washers for the 215 pump... It seems the normal (.6-.75) washers make the 215s really touchy. They also seem to hang up a little if you're not careful. .88" is a large enough OD to do what you want, the .910s I used fit perfectly; I highly doubt that .03" would make that much of a difference...