GSK problem help

Hitchedup

Yesterday changed 12 valve springs to 60#, also 4gsk springs. Started fine, ran like a champ-much better than before. Got home and shut her off, and thought to start her up again just to see. Well she starts for the initial rev up then dies. Did the same today after 35 min test drive. Multiple tries.
She started right up several times this morning, it was only after she got good and warm that this happened today.

Thought the problem was with the feul shut off solenoid, pulled it, cleaned up the piston(had fallen out because the boot has degraded badly-coarse solvents?) and reinstalled it. Seems to work fine.
Could the govenor arm be going under the foot? Guessing here.
Any advice or ideas?

Before somone says search, I have been haveing trouble searching for 4GSK on this forum. Seems I haven't learned how to search for phrases. All I seem to get are word matches.
Need advice here too, but getting my truck to operate correctly is primary.
Thanks

96 12v, AFC mods, 4" AFE, BHAF, 11 plate

Last edited:
Okay so I went out this morning and did some looking around,found that the solenoid did not stay up after letting off of the starter position. Pulled it out and checked operation by grounding it and working the key. (this is after installing and removing it the third time). installed it again and went for test drive.
Right now it is working fine.
Got the part #'s off of it for Cummins West on the way home tomorrow.
Don't know if it was binding or if it is just starting to get week, but without a boot on it it's days are numbered with the dirt driving I do. I like new parts too.
Thanks

Getting it from cummins is gonna suck, i believe i was quoted like $325 from them.

Before you condem the solenoid make sure the small blue wire at driver's side battery positive terminal is sound. TAKE IT COMPLETELY OFF and inspect for breakage at the crimp.

Before you condem the solenoid make sure the small blue wire at driver's side battery positive terminal is sound. TAKE IT COMPLETELY OFF and inspect for breakage at the crimp.

Good deal, sticker shock has me looking for things to try!
New price is $352.19...........Phuk!
Big thanks, will check that out1

I think the solenoid is alot cheaper from genos garage if you end up needing one.

I would disconnect the pull solenoid free and see if it will stay up with the key turned on and see if it pulls when the starter is bumped. If the linkage on the bottom of the solenoid is misadjusted, it won't pull or hold correctly. If you don't want to pull it free, try lengthening the adjustable linkage on the bottom about 4 turns and see if it works. Longer linkage allows the piston to be seated farther up into the solenoid where the electromagnetic force is stronger.

Thanks all,
Good info from everyone.
Know some have seen and answered me on another forum. As I said there I am amazed that guys from all over the country have answered my questions and offered help. This site/sites is/are bad ass.:thankyou2:

To update, we pulled this thing out 3 times Sunday and checked the service manual dimention of 2.65" (I think-too much exhaust smoke i guess) and found that it was within .060. Tested it clamped to the valve cover bolt and it worked fine. Did feel like it was binding when manually pulling it up in place with the key on though. Will still have to pull it again to make a new boot from a bicycle inner tube. Anyway we put it back, went for a test drive to warm up, been working fine since.