GT4202 versus GTX4202R as primary dyno results

metal_miner

Before I start explaining my dyno results I'll be upfront and state that for the entire comparison I ran out of supply fuel feeding my dual stock CP3's and therefore ran out of rail pressure on the top end with my little Walbro 80 gph pump. This issue will be shortly addressed with a Raptor 150 gph.

That said - I hate lag on the street or towing, especially at my 5,000' - 6,500' driving elevation, but having top end also is nice. I had tried different types of single turbos: HTT 62/12, HTT 62/14, II SPS 66/14, and II SPS 62/14. After spending tons of $ and time, I eventually came to the realization that I wanted a compound turbo setup.

I first had a BD tow twins setup. It was good on the street and towing, but choked up quite a bit on the top end. At my elevation it was good for 50 psi before drive pressure started overcoming boost.

I then had Nathan at MPI build me a compound setup keeping my Super B (57/65/14) on top, but replacing the BD primary with a Garrett GT4202 1.15 AR wastegated turbo. This setup spooled the same as the BD tow twins, but yielded about 25 HP more (600 HP) on the top end before the little Walbro couldn't deliver.

I then started reading about Soulezoo's and Onetun's Garrett ball-bearing compound turbo set-ups and their amazing spool speeds. Via MPI I purchased the GTX4202R with 1.15 AR non-wastegated housing and installed it. The first test drive yielded immediate improvements:

1) Way less smoke off idle because the GTX primary starts spooling sooner than the journal bearing GT.
2) My cold pipe starts registering boost at 8 psi in the intake horn. Before the swap, cold-pipe boost used to register at 12 psi.
3) I hit >40 psi boost in at least one lower gear than before. The turbo is so responsive that I had to learn to apply less throttle input than with the journal bearing GT.

Since this was all SOP, gauge, and visual improvements, I figured a dyno session would tell a better story. See attached files for the comparison.

Settings are exactly the same for the GT4202 (RunFile #12) versus GTX4202R (RunFile #16) runs (TNT/R = #5 and TST 4x0). Any TST setting above this started dropping lift pump pressure and in turn rail pressure.

The ball-bearing GTX spools about 100-150 rpm sooner than the journal bearing GT. Top end power and torque were about the same since both ran out of supply fuel.

From my datalogs of this dyno, the GTX put out 29 psi with 60 psi in the intake manifold at 1225* EGT. At 29 psi the GTX is at PR=3. The maximum air mass flow on the GTX compressor map looks to be at PR=3.5, which holds to PR=4.25.

On the street with the GTX I hit about 65-70 psi total versus 60 psi total with the regular GT.

All the above comparisons were with my truck otherwise set up with Flux 2 injectors, dual Cummins CP3's, Walbro supply pump, Smarty TNT/R, TST PMCR.

I can't wait to get the fuel supply resolved. Then I'll dyno again using the same fueling parameters.

100-150rpm is a nice bump in spool... especially when towing. and no "negatives"

nothing like a win/win mod :D

Now get rid of the tiny top charger and go with a 58ET/65/14 and watch how happy you get....

Chris

I'd put the 68 turbine in it... use anything from a 57-60 ETT comp wheel

There you go again...I guess I didn't finish my thought earlier. If he goes with a 65 turbine he can have a charger made with the correct turbine side to slide right into that housing, and not have to disassemble the whole setup.

But I do agree, the 68 turbine is the better option
Chris

Cool thread! Wonder how much the gtx wheel weighs vs the standard garrett wheel?

There you go again...I guess I didn't finish my thought earlier. If he goes with a 65 turbine he can have a charger made with the correct turbine side to slide right into that housing, and not have to disassemble the whole setup.

But I do agree, the 68 turbine is the better option
Chris

roger that! E.D. can cut a 10 blade turbine to the 65mm dimensions and it'll slide right in too ;)

I have been considering swapping out my GT42-02 for a GTX42-02 for a few months now...

my wallet is now cursing you!!

If he is going to change out the top turbo, I would say a GT3582R and an external gate is a better match for his set... Just to add to the mix above.

at the moment I'm having Chris build me a 63 (billet 6 blade)/68/12cm gated (I had the turbine housing) and I just got a GTA4202... oughta be a pretty good towing setup on a CR with stock nozzles

at the moment I'm having Chris build me a 63 (billet 6 blade)/68/12cm gated (I had the turbine housing) and I just got a GTA4202... oughta be a pretty good towing setup on a CR with stock nozzles

Now that sound like a fun dd setup.

Whats the A/R on the exhaust housing on that?

I'd be curious to see what the difference would have been if he had just switch to a BB GT42 as opposed to jumping to the GTX. See where most of the benefit lies, in the bearings, or in the compressor wheel.

Last edited:
Thanks guys for all the possible ways to move forward with my set-up.

My first priority is to take care of the supply fuel and dyno again to truly see where my bottlenecks are.

Now get rid of the tiny top charger and go with a 58ET/65/14 and watch how happy you get....

Are you referring to the compressor or turbine or both as being tiny? MPI mentioned that perhaps the GTX could be pushing the 57 mm Super B compressor. Visually, it looks to be ET technology. On the exhaust housing I have a wastegate spacer to allow the dual port wastegates to open more. While not as optimal as an external gate, this should help, correct?

roger that! E.D. can cut a 10 blade turbine to the 65mm dimensions and it'll slide right in too

Is the 10 blade turbine different than the Super B turbine? Lower drive pressure wheel?

If he is going to change out the top turbo, I would say a GT3582R and an external gate is a better match for his set... Just to add to the mix above.

I thought about going to a top BB turbo with external gate, but I didn't want to have to redo my hotpipe as well as likely switch to a T4 manifold. I think MPI could do this via jigs from other customer's projects. I never asked... yet.

I also was not sure if the Garrett Powermax turbos for the 3rd gens are dimensionally the same in terms of flange size and location as High Tech Turbo BW S300's to just drop in my existing set-up.

Perhaps a BW EFR turbo will "drop in"...

I'd be curious to see what the difference would have been if he had just switch to a BB GT42 as opposed to jumping to the GTX. See where most of the benefit lies, in the bearings, or in the compressor wheel.

Good point! This thought never crossed my mind. I didn't know about the GTX turbos until I looked at one at MPI's shop. Based on Soulezoo's input, I originally was going to see if a vendor, such as Turbo Resource, would make a hybrid.

I then found some posts on here and on other sites where the GTX turbos yielded significantly more power and spool than the similar frame journal or BB bearing turbos they replaced in-kind.

So I just figured... faster spool, more HP,... why not :evil

Thanks guys for all the possible ways to move forward with my set-up.

My first priority is to take care of the supply fuel and dyno again to truly see where my bottlenecks are.

Are you referring to the compressor or turbine or both as being tiny? MPI mentioned that perhaps the GTX could be pushing the 57 mm Super B compressor. Visually, it looks to be ET technology. On the exhaust housing I have a wastegate spacer to allow the dual port wastegates to open more. While not as optimal as an external gate, this should help, correct?

Is the 10 blade turbine different than the Super B turbine? Lower drive pressure wheel?

Compressor wheel is Extended tip, and the 68mm turbine is a 10 blade wheel compared to your 11 blade.

Have you ever measured your "57mm" wheel? Last one I saw was only 54mm and some change....

Chris

Whats the A/R on the exhaust housing on that?

Last one I had was a 1.15 A/R. I'm assuming this one its the same. Haven't pulled it out of the box yet, lol

I have a 1.15 A/R T4 housing on my GT42...was considering a 1.28 T4 if I were to go to a GTX