GT4202 versus GTX4202R as primary dyno results

I'd be curious to see what the difference would have been if he had just switch to a BB GT42 as opposed to jumping to the GTX. See where most of the benefit lies, in the bearings, or in the compressor wheel.
Yes. Important to remind folks they have a GT4202, GT4202R (BB), and now GTX4202R (BB plus new wheel). Improvement in spool rate probably due to the BB, but the wheel may have something to do with it. When the fuel gets figured out the GTX wheel ought to show a good difference up top. The BB turbos are water cooled remember. And to make it more interesting you can now order GTX4202R with the original 75.8mm comp whl or 3 additional smaller trims down to 70mm. TH are T4 or T6. These are on the drag race list.

metal_miner said:
I thought about going to a top BB turbo with external gate, but I didn't want to have to redo my hotpipe as well as likely switch to a T4 manifold. I also was not sure if the Garrett Powermax turbos for the 3rd gens are dimensionally the same in terms of flange size and location as High Tech Turbo BW S300's to just drop in my existing set-up.
The later PowerMax GT3788R drops into a Dodge T3 setup with stock 4" downpipe. If the HTT does too, then they are both plumbed the same. If you don't want the 90 degree comp cover outlet you could get the PowerMax they make for the pre-02.5 trucks. Both have adj. WG and .99 A/R or you can order a .89 T3 from a Stage 1 or 2. Or the generic GT3788R has a T4 and TH of .89, .99, 1.11, no WG. And then there's the new GTX3582R that can be had with T3 and T4 undivided. Thats a 62.5mm CW. No WG.

The Stage 2 pwermax GT3782R uses the same comp wheel as the GT3582, but with a larger turbine wheel. The Stage 2 is a 62/64 with a .89 divided internally gated housing.

If you want drop in the Stage 2 is probably the way to go (was a direct drop in for my 05), but if you want to do a little fab the GTX3582R with a T3 .85 and external gate would be crazy in the spool dept.

Compressor wheel is Extended tip, and the 68mm turbine is a 10 blade wheel compared to your 11 blade.

Have you ever measured your "57mm" wheel? Last one I saw was only 54mm and some change....

Chris

If a 10 blade was machined down to 65 mm like Forrest mentioned earlier, would this be lower driver pressure wheel than a 11 blade wheel in 65 mm configuration?

I measured the Super B couple of years ago and if I recall it was 57 mm from extended tip to extended tip, but maybe ~54 mm measured just before the tip extension started. So think I see what you're saying in that one is not getting a true "57 mm" wheel, correct? If I get some time this weekend I'll pull the cover and measure again.

57mm should be the inducer diameter. I doubt it's only 57mm major diameter.

the 10 blade will be lower drive pressure than the 11 blade. I would rather just have the turbine housing cut for the 68 wheel. probably cheaper to machine the housing than the wheel and you're buying the wheel either way

The Stage 2 pwermax GT3782R uses the same comp wheel as the GT3582, but with a larger turbine wheel. The Stage 2 is a 62/64 with a .89 divided internally gated housing.

If you want drop in the Stage 2 is probably the way to go (was a direct drop in for my 05), but if you want to do a little fab the GTX3582R with a T3 .85 and external gate would be crazy in the spool dept.

The later PowerMax GT3788R drops into a Dodge T3 setup with stock 4" downpipe. If the HTT does too, then they are both plumbed the same. If you don't want the 90 degree comp cover outlet you could get the PowerMax they make for the pre-02.5 trucks. Both have adj. WG and .99 A/R or you can order a .89 T3 from a Stage 1 or 2. Or the generic GT3788R has a T4 and TH of .89, .99, 1.11, no WG. And then there's the new GTX3582R that can be had with T3 and T4 undivided. Thats a 62.5mm CW. No WG.

Good info!!!

How big is the internal wastegate on the Powermaxes? Is it comparable in total area to the dual port wastegate holes on S300's?

It's not a huge WG. It's a single port from the aft bank only.

IMG_3812.jpg

IMG_3813.jpg

57mm should be the inducer diameter. I doubt it's only 57mm major diameter.

the 10 blade will be lower drive pressure than the 11 blade. I would rather just have the turbine housing cut for the 68 wheel. probably cheaper to machine the housing than the wheel and you're buying the wheel either way

I should have wrote better... I meant to say I measured 57 mm at the inducer at the widest point of the tips, but the wheel seemed to neck down to 54 mm or so before increasing again to the exducer diameter.

Here are some old pictures of the Super B:

Attachments

• Super B compressor profile.jpg
    Super B compressor profile.jpg
    76.7 KB · Views: 0
  • Super B compressor profile-2.jpg
    Super B compressor profile-2.jpg
    111.4 KB · Views: 0
GTX4202R pictures

Here are some pictures of the GTX4202R:

Attachments

• GTX4202R compressor.jpg
    GTX4202R compressor.jpg
    87 KB · Views: 0
  • GTX4202R CHRA.jpg
    GTX4202R CHRA.jpg
    76.2 KB · Views: 0
  • GTX4202R turbine.jpg
    GTX4202R turbine.jpg
    87.3 KB · Views: 0
Weird... my dyno graph pictures disappeared... and I can't edit my post to add them back in.

Am I only limited to 5 attachments on this site at any one time?

I should have wrote better... I meant to say I measured 57 mm at the inducer at the widest point of the tips, but the wheel seemed to neck down to 54 mm or so before increasing again to the exducer diameter.

Here are some old pictures of the Super B:

No, I measured the inducer, on about 3 of them.....maybe they changed the wheel in the newer ones, these were all older models...

Chris

How do you guys think a GTX4508 with a 1.28 a/r housing would work in a compound set-up? What would be a good hp turbo match for this turbo. I have 4508 on my sledpuller and have thought about putting it back on the street some day. Thought it might make a fun primary, just not sure what would be a good match for the hp charger.thanks in advance!

You find that its quieter as well? I miss the noise of the GT wheel some times.

I find it a bit quieter with more of a jet turbine background sound. I run a 5" straight-pipe after it so the exhaust note is still deep. My neighbors and family can still here my truck from blocks away :Cheer:

---UPDATE---

I placed an order with MPI to upgrade the secondary to a GT3788R 0.99 and change to an external gate on a Steed Speed manifold.

Stay tuned...