Gt4202 vs s475

Lostnwalmart

Well I have both of these sitting on the shelf and was wondering how they compare in the real world. On paper they are almost identical. Is one more reliable, one spool faster, one sound better LOL? The s475 has a t4 1.10 82 mm turbine the gt42 is a 1.01 housing. It will be a single for a bit then a secondary for my 106. If no one knows I'll just strap them both on and pick the one I like best. I'm thinking a .9 housing on the s475 wod be win but don't know for sure. The header is gated so I'm not concerned with drive pressure. Also s475 is brand new, gt42 has about 2000 miles on a rebuild.
731376-2comp.jpg

177248.jpg

Last edited:
I say use both of them, get something smaller to feed them. Maybe the BW FMW 67.

Sell or save the 106 for later.

I swapped from a S469 to a GTX4202 and spool is only slightly more sluggish with the 4202. Its light years apart though when it comes on. LOL

I say go for the 42. I am a bit biased tho. If you could do some back to back testing it would be great.

In real world results i had a gt4202r out perform an s480. So the 42 would be my choice. Ive also heard a few tractor puller guys say the gt42 out performed a gtx42 on the track. Im not a fan of the gtx chargers.

Well sounds like some dyno time is in order. She flat out moved with the 42 on her and I now have even more fuel and air LOL

What were you seeing out of the GT42, and specs on the rest of your setup?

Also where did you get your 1.01 t4 housing. I just ordered 2 for my primaries, but its got some lead time.

Also where did you get your 1.01 t4 housing. I just ordered 2 for my primaries, but its got some lead time.

Garrett offers that housing. I'd like to see how a T4 housing would compare to a Tial v-band housing in the same ratio. I ran a GT4202R with a T6 w/g 1.01 housing. It was pretty sluggish.

I ordered them from a mast garrett distributor. Said garrett has been having a lot of problems lately about getting their racing line out to the distributors.

The tial vband housings would be ideal for the primary charger(s). They flow a lot compaired to a T4 housing of the same a/r. And a devided housing is does nothing but interupt flow to the turbine of the primary charger(s).

The Borg will probably out spool the Garrett, gut the garret will out run it on top. If you compare similar exhaust housings.

The tial vband housings would be ideal for the primary charger(s). They flow a lot compaired to a T4 housing of the same a/r. And a devided housing is does nothing but interupt flow to the turbine of the primary charger(s).

How about compared to a T6 housing? That housing is what I have on my GTX4202R, paired with my GT3782R with the 0.89 housing. I've never been thrilled with the spool up of the set. Its not bad, but there is still lots left to be desired below 1700 rpm.

I'm surprised you aren't very pleased with that setup.

As was I. Its not a bad setup, don't get me wrong. But just not what I was expecting. It was much more fun on my 24v, but that is a different truck entirely. I had the hunch that the Tial housing was too tight, causing the top turbo to come on slower. Thats why I'll be trying out a T6 housing on the next set.

What were you seeing out of the GT42, and specs on the rest of your setup?

I was seeing 55-65 psi out of it, she ran good but dont have any dyno results just track times with poor spoolup and traction problems :doh:

As far as the current setup goes. Hamilton head ported for low lift flow, 188/220 cam, Westons 5x20 injectors and comp Dv's, stock 160 pump with 4k and rack plug, dual fed pump from twin airdogs to keep flow and pressure up, beans sump, ati dampener, nitrous for when Im feeling froggy, Custom stainless steel header with build in gate, 47rh manual vb with cheetah shifter, Valair race converter, 3.55 gears, scsb swap, caltracs and 2 leafs.

I plan to have the pump sent to Seth at dpe and get maxed out + 5k's, would like to maybe get one of Zach's new injection pump cams for it So holding off a bit. I'm sure I missed something but Its early and I just worked a 38 hour shift :bang

Last edited:
I'd say 50mm gate, gt42 1.01 t4, and a spool valve. Oh ya and plenty of tires

Back