Gt4202 vs s475

How about compared to a T6 housing? That housing is what I have on my GTX4202R, paired with my GT3782R with the 0.89 housing. I've never been thrilled with the spool up of the set. Its not bad, but there is still lots left to be desired below 1700 rpm.

If you went with a 1.15 or 1.30 tial housing I think you would be surprised. They are very compact compaired to an iron housing. Don't let that fool you though, they flow a ton more. Just rember when they measure a/r they don't account for the devider in the housing. There is a good 10-15 percent differance in area. My guess is your T6 1.01 is restricting flow causing slower spool. How this clarrifies things.

Last edited:
There thats better. Much simpler and now that i read it, it kinda sounds like a$$hole lol. Which is another true point.

If you went with a 1.15 or 1.30 tial housing I think you would be surprised. They are very compact compaired to an iron housing. Don't let that fool you though, they flow a ton more. Just rember when they measure a/r they don't account for the devider in the housing. There is a good 10-15 percent differance in area. My guess is your T6 1.01 is restricting flow causing slower spool. How this clarrifies things.

I bought my Tial housing back in late '07, at the time, I could only get the 1.01, the 1.15 was coming soon, the 1.30 wasn't even on the radar.

I haven't tried the T6 housing yet in my twins. I used the T6 1.01 as a single turbo :doh:, I've got a 1.28 A/R T6 W/G housing sitting in Montana from Forrest that will make its way to the next twin set. If I don't like that, I'll try the 1.01 T6 W/G housing. If I don't like that, I'll look into going a different route.

I have never driven my GT3782R as a single turbo, so I don't know how it responds by itself. It could just be the way it is, and the GT42 below might not be hindering it as much as I am thinking. If it wasn't my DD, I'd pull the bottom turbo off just to see the difference.

Going to try them both as a single, go with the one I like better and I'll have a back up for if I manage to blow one up.

Not to derail too badly, but does anyone know if you can get the compressor wheel separately for a GTX4202R? I have a GT4202R and would like to try the billet wheel (and also wonder if there are any other differences like in the compressor cover).

Not to derail too badly, but does anyone know if you can get the compressor wheel separately for a GTX4202R? I have a GT4202R and would like to try the billet wheel (and also wonder if there are any other differences like in the compressor cover).

Last I knew was no.

I wish and its ever an option it will happen LOL

The gtx has a larger inducer, would have to get compressor housing remachined, not a huge issue. But getting the wheel alone has been impossible for me, perhaps you will have better luck.

I bought my Tial housing back in late '07, at the time, I could only get the 1.01, the 1.15 was coming soon, the 1.30 wasn't even on the radar.

I haven't tried the T6 housing yet in my twins. I used the T6 1.01 as a single turbo :doh:, I've got a 1.28 A/R T6 W/G housing sitting in Montana from Forrest that will make its way to the next twin set. If I don't like that, I'll try the 1.01 T6 W/G housing. If I don't like that, I'll look into going a different route.

I have never driven my GT3782R as a single turbo, so I don't know how it responds by itself. It could just be the way it is, and the GT42 below might not be hindering it as much as I am thinking. If it wasn't my DD, I'd pull the bottom turbo off just to see the difference.

I have a 1.01 and a 1.30 tial. Quite a differance in volute size. Let us know how the T6 housings work! I wonder if the smallish turbine on the 42 is causing issues? I have heard of a few instances of larger turbines spooling quicker. Maybe a 4508 or 4708 would perform better?

I wouldn't be surprised at all if there was a gain in secondary spool going to a larger housing on the primary.....a 1.0 would be pretty tight on a smallish turbine to begin with.

Seems like t6 1.15 stock housings do very well. Spool and power is all opinion over the Internet tho.

You guys suck LOL. But sounds like general idea is that the 42 will make more power than the 475 we will see when the swap happens.

Last edited:
I have a 1.01 and a 1.30 tial. Quite a differance in volute size. Let us know how the T6 housings work! I wonder if the smallish turbine on the 42 is causing issues? I have heard of a few instances of larger turbines spooling quicker. Maybe a 4508 or 4708 would perform better?

I just looked at the price of a Tial housing on Himni-racing, wow! $730! Mine wasn't nearly that expensive. If it was $200 or so, I'd look at buying another housing to swap out and try. I think mine was about $400 when I bought it. I don't think its the turbine wheel size alone, as lots of people run the 83mm S400's in twins too without much issue, but generally they run the 1.10 housing with it as well. I'll update once the new twins are done. It won't be apples to apples, as I'll be going to a smaller secondary, to enhance the low end even more.

I was originally gonna go with a GT3582R, now looking at a GTX3076R. Should be instant, with a good PR capability to keep it from surging before the GTX4202R comes on. It'll be with a Steed Speed manifold Mike has for me, as well as an external gate.

Keep in mind most of those smaller garretts don't have divided housing options. They are great turbos none the less.

Back