Gutting the CCV filter

zstroken

For $$$ your name here
Anybody ever done it, and just ran the tube down like the older blow by tubes?

Basically cutting the filter out, and just using the housing to seal the top.

Yea, just wondering if the filter was needed, and what happens if you run without it.

I can't see why not to leave it in....change it every 60K or so, and it should keep the oil spots down on the concrete.

Chris

Just use an 06-07 upper valve cover. Looks better and you still have a CCV 'filter'.

Gibson Just use an 06-07 upper valve cover. Looks better and you still have a CCV 'filter'. :umno:

i have removed the complete upper valve cover and fabricated a plate to bolt on in its place with a nipple welded in and a chrome breather on top. looks cool and gets the job done. personal experience, i have simply vented the ccv filter to the atmosphere and plugged the port on the intake tube and under heavy boost, i would get a code for excessive crank case pressure. the filter relies on the turbo suction to pull the fumes out of the crank case.

I just ran the tube to the ground, never took the filter out. Make 60ish psi pulling and never had an issue with codes.

I will probably end up replacing the filter, but will leave the hose vented.

After I gutted my folter and added and routed the 3/4" hose my engine seems to run a lot better. Maybe it is just but I think it sounds 'looser' now.
My 2 cents worth

07.5 6.7L Megacab
DPF/CAT Delete
EGR Blocked
Edge w/ Att
MP-8

After I gutted my folter and added and routed the 3/4" hose my engine seems to run a lot better. Maybe it is just but I think it sounds 'looser' now.

Huh? :bang :hehe:

This is something I need to do to my truck also. I pulled my intake tubes the other day and wiped black residue out of the compressor housing and off the wheel. That was a brilliant design. I think a chrome filter would look cool if it isn't too restrictive.

Went and visited Trent at Outlaw Diesel at lunch. He just happened to have these in stock.

Glacier Diesel Power - Product Detail

Now I just happen to have one of these in my passenger seat. :D

I think I'll try to find some clamps that look a little nicer than the ones on my spray rig. LOL

Last edited:
Went and visited Trent at Outlaw Diesel at lunch. He just happened to have these in stock.

Glacier Diesel Power - Product Detail

Now I just happen to have one of these in my passenger seat. :D

I think I'll try to find some clamps that look a little nicer than the ones on my spray rig. LOL

Those are nice but I still like removing the filter media from inside the valve cover. It gets clogged up rather quickly and looks like charcoal paper.

Probably the reason some get the excessive crank pressure codes?

Precisely.

Here's what I got out of one filter that was throwing a 'see dealer now' on the over head.
F4FE3806-E73E-4E3E-8172-63BCB44D0118-1103-000001A03FD3B7FC.jpg

Last edited:
Just drill a few holes in the filter plastic for the vapor to bypass the media.

Back