Had a major screw up...

RGHodges

The other day I decided it was time to re torque my headstuds after installing new headgasket. Well everything went great until I was putting the number one intake rocker back on. Went to torque it to 18 ft lbs and before I knew it I pulled the threads oust of the head. I tried to helicoil it with no luck. I have decided to drill and tap to the next bigger size and put a grade 8 bolt in it. Do you guys think I will be ok in doing this? Anyone have a similar situation? What did you do? I know a helicoil is my best bet but this is a last resort.

try these i had them put in my exhaust flange on the head cause of broken bolts needing to be drilled out and never had an issue.

Carbon Steel Threaded Inserts for Metal by E-ZLOK

there are other places that have them too. they are solid instead of the coil like helicoil so they should hold better

Last edited:
Those look a lot sturdier than a help coil. Ill look into it. Thanks man.

no problem. been on my exhaust flange of the head for a few years now and no issue

Well guys, re tapped the hole and finally jot a helicoil in. Everything seems to be golden. We shall see. Thanks again for the replies.