Hamilton issue replaced push rods truck wont start

zrultima

Alright guys an update to the an issue im having ....got somewhat of a horror story a few months ago i had replaced valve spring and retainers to 165 pd hamilton i was doing the pushrods today when i saw this.... the exhaust valve retainer had cracked called hamilton immediately and they will be sending a new one tommorow great customer service

Now i replaced the retainer and the pushrods and now truck wont start battery are good it tries to turn over but then all you hear is a high pitch squeal. When i replaced the pushrods i turn over the engine a few times to make site there no binding but now it wont start at all

Here what i found when i took off the retainers ....... aparently the retainer had broken and ive been driving it like this for a bit. Im so lost and dont know what to do

Attachments

• 20141108_174723.jpg
    20141108_174723.jpg
    30.6 KB · Views: 0
Yes they all are i double checked and rotated the motor several times by hand

Did you reset the valve lash after swapping pushrods?

High pitched squeal and tries to turn................ sound like a bad ring gear/starter.

If the motor turns over by hand then it's not a rotating assembly or valve train assembly issue. I'd go with what 9724VF350 said.

Our pushrods are slightly longer to allow for performance cams having smaller base circles while maintaining correct rocker geometry. You will need to reset lashing not, the valves are always cracked and you will not get any compression. Since these are compression ignition engines ,you could be taxing your starter for no reason.

I would guess starter, or your flex plate/flywheel is missing some teeth and you are exactly where there aren't any.

It would be kind of odd that the lashing would cause the truck not to start but i will definetely reset the lashing tommorow. As far as the other suggestion for the starter what would make it go out from one day to the next like that??? It was running fine 2 days ago with no issues so it be weird to go out from one day to the next

I would like to imagine that you reset the lash because you had to take the rockers off? Surely you did not just put the rockers back on without resetting the lash?

Mike i did not reset the valve lash i removed them but indidnt change the lash. I hope resetting the valve lash will make it start

Hopefully you haven't bent every valve from cranking over with longer pushrods without setting lash.

I doubt any valves were bent since i was able to turn over the motor by hand with no problem

It would be kind of odd that the lashing would cause the truck not to start

So if any of the valves do not close then there is NOT ENOUGH compression being built. Longer push rods will take away that little .010 valve lash pretty easily. For example, if the pushrods were .010 longer and the intake rocker ratio was 1.34 that would translate to .0134 valve lift. At that rate, if the lash was .010 before the pushrod upgrade then now the intake valves are not on the seat. Any truck out of our shop that has the valve cover off for any reason gets the valve lash checked of not adjusted.

Last edited:
wow one clueless mistake can do some serious damage! All mechanics take this as common sense but if you don't know and try anyways could cost you a lot!
Subscribed to this one! Squealing starter means bind, bind means possible damage! I've seen crank shafts snapped by starter torque on a hydro locked engine!

Never seen a cracked crank, but lots of other damage from hydro-cranking (sounds like an eastern KY thing)
What would possess someone to install longer pushrods in a stock cammed engine?

How would anyone NOT reset the valve lash after removing and reinstalling the rocker assemblies?! Regardless of installing new push rods or not. Lesson learned NOW I'll bet.

Well Mikeismad and 307diesel i adjusted the valves and wala engine fired right up no knocking no smoke drives normal. I would like to thank everyone for the input . Thank you for being being sp kind 307diesel and Mike everything has resolved itself

I am still worried about that piece of that retainer hopefully ill find it in the oil pan but i was very upset about the retainer failing but in learn my lesson