Hamilton Pushrods/Springs With Stock Cam?

D45

I called a rather popular diesel performance shop and was inquiring about buying some aftermarket pushrods and valve springs

The tech on the phone said that if I was not buying and installing a cam, that the pushrods and springs are a wate of money......

What's the deal......needed or not?

How much power are you making? How many rpm's are you turning? How much boost are you making?

I don't think I'd trust much from that tech. The stock pushrods will likely survive, but the springs will help better control the valve with any cam, especially with increased manifold pressures.

I don't think I'd trust much from that tech. The stock pushrods will likely survive, but the springs will help better control the valve with any cam, especially with increased manifold pressures.

Yep.

There can be a bit of performance gained with a pushrod that deflects less than a stock pushrod. Depends on the springs being used, but they can increase duration and lift by a fuzz.

I think Hamilton did some dyno testing and came up with 50-100 rpm quicker spool, not sure what springs were being used. I would assume his street singles.

How much power are you making? How many rpm's are you turning? How much boost are you making?

No clue on the power.....never dyno'd. I'd be content with 550 hp?

Nothing over the stock redline....just my daily driver

Max boost I have seen is 42 PSI

get the springs for sure, mine used to start flaoting valves under power at 30 psi..

Thanks for the info guys........I will look into some springs

For $200 more dollars, I may as well throw some pushrods in also

Thanks for the info guys........I will look into some springs

For $200 more dollars, I may as well throw some pushrods in also

If you have the extra cash, I would. Who knows, you may go further later on and it will be nice to have one less thing to buy.

this is dumb but how do you tell if the valves are floating? im at 50 to 55 psi now?

this is dumb but how do you tell if the valves are floating? im at 50 to 55 psi now?

Pulling show through rpm range it would miss and buck at x boost and load..
Replaced springs with 110's and it went away..

Buddy of mine did a back to back run and picked up a 100ftlbs just from swapping springs. This was on a VP with bd twins around 55-60psi.

Thanks guys...........I just don't have the time right now to install the cam, or the down time

I was hoping that I could install some #110 springs and pushrods and pushrods, that will have some benefits........

So, without starting a war.......what pushrods should I go with, or does it just depend which springs I get too and they should be paired up/matched?

Hamilton
MaxxSpool

I see Trend Performance also came out with diesel pushrods:

Cummins Pushrods | Trend Performance

What about the differences in chromoly.....which is a better material and why?

-Hamilton HD Pushrods; 4130 Chromoly w/ hardened 8620 pressed in ends

-Heavy Duty Maxxspool 4340 Chromoly pushrods with billet ends

I ran hamiltons springs and pushrods in my 01 and turned 4k rpm's and never had an issue. I highly doubt you'll have an issue with either of those. I prefer Hamilton but that's just me.

Does anyone know what wall thickness of the Hamilton or Maxx Spool pushrods?