hard start.....update

SuperDave4x4

popcorn playa
Well I STILL have this hard start that started in october of 06'. I first started by running the codes and I got the P0216, so I replaced the VP44. That did nothing for the hard start, or anything for that matter. Next I rebuilt my leaking holley, that did nothing either. I also installed the draw straw and that did notta. So I've been wanting to ditch the stock fuel fitler/canister for a LONG time so I could run some dual spin filters. Well I got new hose, a few new fittings, spin on filters and bases, new pump and I installed everything last week. This netted me NOTHING. :bang I feel like my truck is just :hehe: at me. :bang

If I park the truck facing down a hill it cranks every time, but if its on flat ground and/or is parked on flat ground for 15+mins(over night or longer) it loses prime and will not crank till about the 3rd time I turn the key over and hold it for about 3 or so seconds.

I'm running the carter 4601HP pump which I know is not very good, but I will be replacing it with a FASS pump very soon.

I did notice the other day when I went to take a Vulcan fitting off so I could put a Aeroquip 90* fitting on that NO fuel drained out from the VP44 or the hose!? The truck had been setting over night and I drove the truck the day before. Does anyone know what could be going on?? :what:

I would bet you have a bad oring on a pass thru connector

where did you get the aeroquip 90's Dave?

Timbeaux38 said:
where did you get the aeroquip 90's Dave?

Got them from summit. I was in Macon last weekend for spring break, so I had time to drive up to the Summit in Mcdonough. I only needed one and that was at the Vp44. Their socketless fittings are NICE, but man it's hard to get that hose around the second barb! Also the Aeroquip hose is VERY nice compared to 1/2" rubber hose that I took off the truck.

Jeff2 said:
I would bet you have a bad oring on a pass thru connector

The connector tubes correct? If so that'll be a breeze to change out compared to what I've already dealt with.

Thanks for the help.

Last edited:
im wondering if i dont have the same problem as you dave? here recently i have started getting a stumble when i start the truck. it started when i installed the bigger fuel line. fuel pressure comes up on the gauge and when i start it, it falls to zero then back where it normally stays. it acts like the vp is draining back down over night. im not sure if it supposed to do this? my condition is no where as bad as yours though.

to rule out fuel line leaks,Im leak free, and it has been checked many times.

Did you check the connections on the fuel tank module. I have seen those rust and suck air, or bleed back on the return side. The new modules are plastic and don't rust. If the top of the module is wet, even a little, it's most likely bad.

Snedge said:
Did you check the connections on the fuel tank module. I have seen those rust and suck air, or bleed back on the return side. The new modules are plastic and don't rust. If the top of the module is wet, even a little, it's most likely bad.

were you talking to me or dave? if me i also installed a vulcan drawstraw so it gets rid of the factory plastic junk you are talking about. if not then disregard my statement.

2 things Dave, although I don't know that either is going to be a huge help.

I was going to buy a 02 truck about 2 years ago. It had a horrible hard start problem. Once it started, it sounded like it was running just fine.. But it was hard to get going during the drive, and several other times when I would stop and start it.

Long story short, a friend ended up buying that truck a few weeks later. He still had the exact same problems.

What it eventually turned out to be was a cracked injector line. It was cracked under the rubber hold-down, and wasn't spewing fuel or anything major, but it WAS allowing air into the system (and eventually the VP over night).

You might check all of the tubes just to be certain.

I also had a very odd hard-start problem a few months back. I would go out and crank the truck, but it would not fire. Crank crank crank. Crank crank crank. Finally on the 3rd of 4th time it would fire. It wouldn't sputter, puke, or anything.. just idled fine.

The truck did it to me about 3-4 times. There was never any rhyme or reason why that I could find. I finally went through and checked every electrical connection and GROUNDS on the vehicle. Since doing that, I have yet to have another problem.

You might also check there.

I too have the draw staw so I know it's not the hook up at the tanks.

Lucky, are you talking about the grounds on the battery? Also That must have been a tiny hole because isn't the pressure in those lines REALLY high? Also how did he check those high pressure lines for a leak?

Thanks for the help guys!

Oh does anyone know if a pass through connector is an injector tube? A newbie question.......I know.

The pass through connector is the tube that runs from the outside of the head to the injector itself. You know the little deal you pry out with a screwdriver when changing injectors?? Yeah, that sucker LOL LOL

The only time I have a hard start problem is in the summer, and this plus some other info I have gleaned has me leaning towards a fuel system IRAN.

To check the injector lines for leaks under the hold downs, remove them all and crank the truck, line pressure can reach 18k psi so keep your hands clear, but you should be able to spot any leaks fairly quickly.

Yes..

Pressure is high, but volume isn't. A very small crack can be difficult to notice (especially if it is on the bottom of the tube) but you can eventually tell that it is there..

The pressure isn't nearly as high as a common rail.. You don't know fun until you are on the side of the road cracking injector lines because you had to let off super fast, giving the VP a big gulp of air and cutting the engine.. :( :( :(

Trust me, if you have an injector line get a hole in it of any size, you will be amazed at the amount of fuel that will be pumped out :bang

I had an injector line break at one of the hold downs, talk about a mess LOL

I have been accused of being half-retarded before..

I didn't notice it for the 2-3 hours that I drove the truck on a test drive.. But I also didn't car to track down a problem with a truck that I didn't plan on buying. :D

I was pulling the house back from Commerce and passing thru the HUGE town of Gordo, Alabama when this happened :bang

Attachments

• line_break.JPG
    line_break.JPG
    79.6 KB · Views: 34
ouch!

I'll be able to check some stuff out on the truck at the end of the week. I've got LOTS of school work to deal with right now. Not fun at all!

I was pulling the house back from Commerce and passing thru the HUGE town of Gordo, Alabama when this happened
Attached Thumbnails
YIKES!

WHAHAPPEDED?

HOLYSMOKES said:
YIKES!

WHAHAPPEDED?

That my friend is what happens when an injector line clamp wears out and starts to wear on the injector line itself :bang

how about the overflow valve on the VP 44, does it act like a check valve and prevent the fuel from draining back?

Malcolm

i know this is an old thread but i am having the same symptoms, did you ever get a result?? i have changed VP44, bypassed the pickup in the tank, changed the map and crank position sensors, checked for leaks, fuel pressure is good....