Hard to roll over

cslbrubaker

Motor rolls over hard at start-up then starts...once it starts blows blue smoke and there is oil seeping from the exhaust gasket on the #6 hole. Any ideas?

05 5.9 cummins....twin turbos, head studs, coolant bypass, fluidampner, and so on.
Thanks for your input, it is much appreciated

Motor rolls over hard at start-up then starts...once it starts blows blue smoke and there is oil seeping from the exhaust gasket on the #6 hole. Any ideas?

Blue smoke sounds like coolant being burned in the cylinder, which would also account for the hard starting (trying to hydro-lock)...the oil seeping from the #6 exhaust gasket I would guess is unburnt coolant after it's mixed with soot...just my $.02 though

I'd pressurize the coolant system and check for leak downs

blue smoke could be the valve guide seals if it goes away.. hard cranking could be week batteries....

blue smoke could be the valve guide seals if it goes away.. hard cranking could be week batteries....

No blow by from on top or the bottom...had our ag dealer mechanic listen to it today....he also went to cummins school, and he thought the way that it sounded it was just the head. Got my fingers crossed. Gonna try and pull the head tomorrow. Thanks for the suggestions.

Blue smoke is oil. White smoke is coolant. You may just have got the head gasket but I am pretty sure your #6 piston is toast.

Got the head pulled, and the head gasket was blown on the back side between the two back studs. The deck, pistons and bore all looked good. The head has a little erosion, but nothing that can't be fixed.