Hard to start and no power.

JamieWood

Blowin' Smoke
I'm looking to buy an 01' that has 150K on it. The truck has set for around 14 months while the owner was deployed and now it dosen't start well without either. It also has low power. @ $2000 its one heck of a deal. I would like to see whats wrong with it first. HPOP? CPS?

Hows about some new batteries. LOL And some fresh diesel fuel.

Gonna need a couple more details. But first after I bought it I would change all fluids.

how soon after start up are you trying to see how much power the truck has?

Fuel filter, Some new oil and filter, Put some additive in what remaining diesel it has or suck it out and add new with some additive. Keep in mind your not just going to start it up and take off after it sat for a number of months and no one started it and moved it around while the guy was gone.

I would buy it if it didn't start at all. Most likely a fuel issue as Blackdog said. Fuel doesn't keep very long these days. Fresh fuel & filter and some dope and it should be fine.

We drained all the fluids and replaced them fresh. Still same problem.

Any critters build a nest in the intake?? Might check the vacume lines the critters seem to like plastic and copper wiring. I don't know where and how it was stored but might be worth a look.

We drained all the fluids and replaced them fresh. Still same problem.

But did you change out the fuel filter????????? You can't go putting the blame on parts and pieces. The truck sat for 14 months. Cps isn't going to crap out because it sat nor the hpop. Go through all the normal maintenance stuff first.

Sorry about the short answer earlier. I was kinda in a hurry.

Heres what all that has been done. Changed Oil/filter, Changed Fuel/filter, CPS changed (recall), Glow relay voltage checked, Glow plugs checked, Checked oil in the HPOP reservoir it was low so topped it off, O-rings on HPOP no leaks, Injectors wasn't leaking oil.

The only two things I can think would be the IPR or HPOP.

Get a scanner and see what its doing when cranking. Does it start at all? Or just with either?

Could be a fuse from the fuel bowl heater... Need to pull some codes off it before you start throwing parts at it...

No it don't start at all, until I use the juice. We had (paid) the dealership to diag. it and they said it was the HPOP. But, they wouldn't touch it without me paying for a $300 compression test. They never started the motor though just plugged in the scanner and took my $100 bucks.

Checked all fuses, CEL doesn't come on until your driving down the road for a while but, it only comes on for a sec. then goes off.

HPOP is always the problem when you take it to the dealer. You could try pulling the IPR and cleaning it.
Have you checked fuel pressure?

Did it run fine before parking? If it ran before it was parked, its gonna be some goofy issue. . .if it was having issues before he parked it, it sounds like it was dusted. To check for that check to make sure the filter housing is seated on the filter, you can also pull the intake off the turbo and see if the impellar blades on the turbo are "feathered" on the edges from dust making it into the engine.

You will need 500psi of High pressure oil for the truck to start. If you dn't have one, the autoenginuity is worth its weight in gold, i would get one so you can monitor the truck and diagnose it. For the price of the truck, the scanner is a small investment in what could be a great truck. . .or a money pit.

Does it smoke when you crank? Does it sound like its trying to start?

If no smoke while trying to start, its probably high pressure oil related, and after sitting for that long, could be the ipr.

If it smokes while trying to start, then the injectors are popping off and it's a heat issue. Heat is provided via the glow plugs and the compression of the motor. I'd move to the glow plug system next. What temps are you trying to start the truck at? You've already checked the GP system, so it would have to be low compression.

Once started and driving. . .does it smoke at all? other than being low on power, how does it drive? Make any funny noises?

Also, worn out injectors will not wanna run well (or start) when cold. Will it start after the truck gets started and warmed up? Does the truck have a miss when you first get it started that slowly goes away as the truck warms up? Injectors are usually good for 200,000ish miles. . .more or less depending on maintenance.

Did it run fine before parking? If it ran before it was parked, its gonna be some goofy issue. . .if it was having issues before he parked it, it sounds like it was dusted. To check for that check to make sure the filter housing is seated on the filter, you can also pull the intake off the turbo and see if the impellar blades on the turbo are "feathered" on the edges from dust making it into the engine.

You will need 500psi of High pressure oil for the truck to start. If you dn't have one, the autoenginuity is worth its weight in gold, i would get one so you can monitor the truck and diagnose it. For the price of the truck, the scanner is a small investment in what could be a great truck. . .or a money pit.

Does it smoke when you crank? Does it sound like its trying to start?

If no smoke while trying to start, its probably high pressure oil related, and after sitting for that long, could be the ipr.

If it smokes while trying to start, then the injectors are popping off and it's a heat issue. Heat is provided via the glow plugs and the compression of the motor. I'd move to the glow plug system next. What temps are you trying to start the truck at? You've already checked the GP system, so it would have to be low compression.

Once started and driving. . .does it smoke at all? other than being low on power, how does it drive? Make any funny noises?

Also, worn out injectors will not wanna run well (or start) when cold. Will it start after the truck gets started and warmed up? Does the truck have a miss when you first get it started that slowly goes away as the truck warms up? Injectors are usually good for 200,000ish miles. . .more or less depending on maintenance.

OK, I will try to answer every question. Thank you for the questions tho.

Lets begin with what I done today. We replaced the HPOP and cleaned the IPR. Still does the same exact thing.

There isn't any dust collected on the vanes SO I don't think its feathered.

We just replaced the HPOP so there should be that much pressure. AE sound to be a good investment.

There is no smoke when cranking. I doesn't even hit a lick.

Cleaned the IPR.

Once its started it has a light haze of white smoke. If you rev it, it will puff a pretty good amount of white. Other than the power it seem to drive fine. Being a 6 speed you need to make sure you don't stall it in traffic. The engine noise sounds fine.

The truck wont try to start at all after its turned off. There is a slight miss when cold but clears up after a few minutes.

Another question. When I take the air cleaner and pipe off there is the crank case breather in the tube close to the turbo. It goes from the valve cover to the intake tube. How much blow bye should come out? I can plug it with my finger and it will build pressure then when I release my finger it has quite a bit of pressure behind it. If you take the oil filler cap off there isn't anything coming out til you plug the breather then it starts blowing smoke out. It seems there is an awful a lot of blow bye. Is this normal?

These trucks have a lot of blow even when they're in good shape. They have a keystone top ring which doesn't seal very well until the truck is under a load. If you take the oil filler cap off and its not blowing out much, you should be fine.

If the non start and the low power are both related, i'm leaning toward a low compression issue on the motor. But, I've got a few more things to check to see if we can't seperate the issues.

Have you verified that when you turn the key on that you have voltage coming out of the glow plug relay? It should be full battery voltage too, if its not, that could be part of your starting issue. Replacing the relay w/a standard starter solenoid won't work righ. . .just an FYI (don't ask how i found out)

Double check your valve cover gasket electric connections are good and that the harness isn't burnt. There should be 2 connectors on each head to check, checking the internal connections wouldn't be a bad idea either (pull the valve cover off to check these).

Also, while the VC's are off, go head and crank the motor over. You should see oil coming out of the little aluminum hoods bolted to each injector. If you see oil coming from around the injector where it goes into the head, you need to replace the orings there. . .that could cause some of your issues by loosing high pressure oil around the injector. If everything looks ok while cranking it over. . .get it started and make sure all the injectors are firing (oil coming out of each of the aluminum hoods) and that oil isn't coming out between the head in the injector body.

Double check to make sure the boots between the intake manifolds and the wye coming out of the turbo aren't split. This would cause the low power issue while driving.

Double check to make sure the exhaust back pressure valve isn't stuck closed. This would also cause the low power issue while driving.

Let us know how these tests come out for you. . .this will help diagnose your issues.