has anyone actually built a p pump themselves???

duramaxcummins

Chevy Cummins
okay, i have been looking around at a bunch of different p pumps from different places. they range from 900 bucks to 5000 bucks. has anyone actually tried tuning a p pump to up say around 1200cc's w/o spending the high dollar on them? how are the cc's measured out? i've seen diagrams of these things and am just wondering if anyone has actually tried it and turned out good or not? Im am by no means putting down any high end pump like industrial injection or anything like that. just trying to get some words on if anyones tried it or not. I know they can be tuned to certaint cc's but what about 1200-1300 on a 13mm pump?

If I had the choice of sending it to a shop that has a good reputation or building it myself...I'd much rather go that route then running the risk of screwing something up. As far as knowing if anyone has, I'm sure there has been. Weston (Smokem) I'm sure could set one up and have it be an amazing and very strong running pump if he chose to. He's one of the go-to guys on p-pump info.

P&B's 1500
cam 600
labor 10 hours(@100)
----------------------

Now you are ready to start experimenting with a cheap 13mm pump.

1200cc's is a lot of fuel ! !
The cc's are measured per 1000 strokes. So at 1200cc's, the pump is capable of putting 1.2cc's of fuel into each cylinder every stroke. Just because it flows 1200 doesn't mean the rest of your system (lines, injectors) will flow that.
I had a pump built and I have been redoing it the rest of the year to make it run right and actually put out fuel. I will do my own next time and then maybe take it to be put on a stand to be calibrated.

I had a pump built and I have been redoing it the rest of the year to make it run right and actually put out fuel. I will do my own next time and then maybe take it to be put on a stand to be calibrated.

Find a different pump shop...I'm glad I did;)

Chris

Chris you know what I am working with, I wish I had. Just going to fix the one I have.

Chris you know what I am working with, I wish I had. Just going to fix the one I have.

Try and get something back for your trouble, or make them fix it...it's not your fault it's messed up, you shouldn't be paying for the fix;)

I need to try mine out again, but I think it's finally right!
Chris

I have called. I left a message when he was on a cruise. No response. I am going to write a letter I think. I don't know if he has the ability to fix it! I think I am even going to take the gov springs out and do a set myself, these don't idle at all.

P&B's 1500
cam 600
labor 10 hours(@100)
----------------------

Now you are ready to start experimenting with a cheap 13mm pump.

I thought I saw 13mm P&B's for 900 a while back?

Hamilton quoted $450 for a quick fill cam grind on your core.

labor is free if you do the work yourself.

How much does a shop typically charge to flow test a pump?

I'm tearing a pump apart right now...

1200 cc's is alot of fuel and completly unnessacerry unless you want a truck at Schied, Haisley pro mod level. 3.0 charger trucks usually run about 750-900cc's. 500 to 600 cc's are perfect (maybe not dyno trucks or drag racers) for 2.6, 2.8 trucks and these numbers are obatainable or real close with a 12mm pump. So building one yourself is pretty easy. Full cuts, .120 holders and lines, no plate and no afc with cds 5k springs atleast on a 97 auto pump.

Tim

There is alot of work goes into a 13mm pump. Bosch plungers and barrels are about $1300. Plus like hamilton said a better cam is a must. The fly weights need to be lightend and there is even case mods to be done and that is why they cost so much. One of my shops charge $250 to flow a pump. Im not saying you couldnt throw a set of 13mm's in a another pump with the factory stuff, but i would say you are wasting your money and the pump wont have very good reliability which 13mm pumps allready have been know to have some problems with. Tim

That'a exactly what I was wondering, how much is the average price to flow test a pump? And what exactly to they do to the pump when it's on the stand? I was told by Piers that 13mm plungers and barrels are about $110 apiece, so that's only $660.
I thought I saw 13mm P&B's for 900 a while back?

Hamilton quoted $450 for a quick fill cam grind on your core.

labor is free if you do the work yourself.

I'm tearing a pump apart right now...

okay, i have been looking around at a bunch of different p pumps from different places. they range from 900 bucks to 5000 bucks. has anyone actually tried tuning a p pump to up say around 1200cc's w/o spending the high dollar on them? how are the cc's measured out? i've seen diagrams of these things and am just wondering if anyone has actually tried it and turned out good or not? Im am by no means putting down any high end pump like industrial injection or anything like that. just trying to get some words on if anyones tried it or not. I know they can be tuned to certaint cc's but what about 1200-1300 on a 13mm pump?

what are you running? i can assure you that 1200cc is far more than what you are going to be running on one truck, you could almost make that run 2 damn good running trucks. i would get ahold of cooper (timebomb) he has a connection on good pumps, whichever one you want that came off cummins tests engines (no hours or milage/basically new) then get a hold of East coast diesel, tell Lamar or Ladell that Mark Andrews told you to call them. their number is 717-861-7525, they are really good on everything and are really good with the 12v fuel system. they work very close with haisley, trust me, this is probably the way to go, they are gonna set my pump up for me, you can tell them your setup and what your expecting and they can set the pump up accordingly. give them a call and see what they can do for you.

That'a exactly what I was wondering, how much is the average price to flow test a pump? And what exactly to they do to the pump when it's on the stand? I was told by Piers that 13mm plungers and barrels are about $110 apiece, so that's only $660.

but you typically have to pay someone to install them correctly, those things are like engines, if im not mistaken, there are certain clearances on all that stuff, then go in the delivery valves, and you have to make sure that every cylinder in the pump is moving the same amount of fuel, more or less for each cylinder (some guys do this) and then figure out how much fuel the pump will actually move. thats probably where that money comes from, then again, scheid sells top of the line stuff so that you dont have issues with pumps seizing.

We don't get rich off our P7100 pumps like you may think! By the time you put in 5K springs, Torque plate, 13mm B&p's, Cut D. Valves, Ground Cam, EDM'd D. Valve holders, machined fly weights and all the rest to make this pump for you. Our price IS A STEAL. Besides all of that, if you have not been to Bosch school and have the tools and the test equipment, you may cost your self MORE MONEY than it's worth. I have veiwed and read information given out on this forum. Some of the information is good and right on. Some of the information is NOT so good. We are here to serve you. We do not over charge anyone. If you check around on prices and compare apples to apples you will see we have been very reasonable with our pricing. I see numbers like 1000-1200cc's. You will need to know what you are doing to get those numbers and that is for sure. Thanks

I have called. I left a message when he was on a cruise. No response. I am going to write a letter I think. I don't know if he has the ability to fix it! I think I am even going to take the gov springs out and do a set myself, these don't idle at all.

That sucks...from what the other guy who tried my pump said, I think it's a heck of a lot better than before anyway!

Chris

We don't get rich off our P7100 pumps like you may think! By the time you put in 5K springs, Torque plate, 13mm B&p's, Cut D. Valves, Ground Cam, EDM'd D. Valve holders, machined fly weights and all the rest to make this pump for you. Our price IS A STEAL. Besides all of that, if you have not been to Bosch school and have the tools and the test equipment, you may cost your self MORE MONEY than it's worth. I have veiwed and read information given out on this forum. Some of the information is good and right on. Some of the information is NOT so good. We are here to serve you. We do not over charge anyone. If you check around on prices and compare apples to apples you will see we have been very reasonable with our pricing. I see numbers like 1000-1200cc's. You will need to know what you are doing to get those numbers and that is for sure. Thanks

i dont think anyone is accusing you of raping us on p-pumps, they were asking about the price differences. instead of sticking your nose in the air and getting all offensive. and on the same note no one is saying that your shop doesnt know what they are doing. instead of bashing for someone asking why, why not explain?

just wondering....

I don't know how many shops will take a strange pump out of a box and run it on their stand. Unless of course your willing to back your work if something from your pump screws their stand (ie....water, dirt, metal, lint). Thats big $$$ .I'm not saying that you can't build your own pump, just saying that many shops will frown on putting a pump on the stand unless they've seen inside it themselves.

I agree with Snedge, our shop will not do it because there is just to much money in the machines to take a chance.

So what would a shop do to someone that already has a 12mm pump setup for max fuel but hasn't been calibrated on a stand?

For example, your average joe already put large DV's, large DV holders, 5k springs, rack plug (if necessary), and is using large lines and large injectors and wanted to have it calibrated it gain that last little bit. I can't believe the pump shop would disassemble the entire pump to look it over prior to throwing it on the stand?

What would the risk be? plugging an injector on the stand?