has anyone else ever broke?....

BIGjohns04

well guys my luck continues on... got my truck back last friday after having to buy a new overdrive housing and have it rebuilt, was driving to work and pow!!! broke a billet input shaft... anyone else ever do this with a billet one? the mods on my truck are port and polished head 90# valve springs hamilton street cam hogan intercooler ats t3 manifold s465 charger(75mm in 85mm ex) lbz cp3 and 150 horse injectors... with all this i would have never expected to break a billet shaft

Has anyone ever broke a billet input?
Are you new? LOL
Billet does not mean indestructible....people break them quite often.

FYI Even factory shafts are "billet" Just a marketing term.

yup broke mine then a stock input and got a stock one in the truck right now and a opie fat shaft sitting in the garage ready to go!!

how are opies shaft holding up? Any body broke them? I have tried two others with no luck

opie shafts have been broken with lots of abuse! with enough horsepower its going to break.

I have seen a few broke Zach. I would suggest looking into Jeff's or SC's over sized shaft setup's not cheap but neither is replacing broken shaft and possibly the TC at the same time.

Could their be such a problem with a shaft too hard to the point where it's brittle? I know companies use materials like 4140 which is just stock you buy thats already heat treated to something like 10-20 rockwells or so if I remember right. But I always why don't companies make them out of a softer material and heat treat them for a certain hardness? When I worked in a machine shop we made oil field tooling for upsetting pipe; and in a rush for tooling we machined a metal called Finco (or thats what I always herd it called). Anyways, it's a memory material. Say if you hit one spot with a hammer then hit that same spot again it would sound different because it self hardened.

Would something like this be unrealistic for transmission shafts that have to take the power and abuse from a diesel's torque?

I broke my billet input just driving through town. I was madder than hell. Nice easy accelerate from 30 to the posted 45 and it let go:doh:

I can beat on it all the time and it keeps ticking; taking it easy is when chit goes bad

(I'm assuming OP was referring to driving normal, not breaking a billet shaft in general...)

Last edited:
well first off im not new to this sport ive been around it for a long time... and secondly i was just wondering if anyone else had broke one just driving and not beating the SH*t out of it... i just think that its bs that you spend 700 bucks for one thats suppose to hold up(yes i know it means its not indestructable) and then you go back to the company to see if they can do anything for you and they tell you to p*ss off and tell you to buy their new and improved shaft. the shaft was bent also from the get go as it looks... just kinda fed up with all these problems im having with my truck and dont understand why when you spend thousands of dollars with a company that when you got back to them for a little help...not saying that they should give me a new one but atleast help offset the cost of a new shaft when its only 2 years old and the truck wasnt driven for atleast 8 months out of those 2 years

You didn't damage the shaft when you were driving like a grandma, you damaged it when you were beating on it. It just happened to let go while you were driving like a grandma.

A bent shaft could be installation error, a permanent deformation, or early E.D.

If the transmission was removed before the torque converter bolts were removed, it is possible to bend the shaft.

Just broke mine last night. Like everyone said billet does not mean indestructible. It's the price you pay when you play.