Has anyone ever heard or seen cam journal freeze plug come out of back of block?

the likely hood of the oil galley plug blowing out is very rare, i dont think i have ever heard of that happening, i am confident that the cam plug is responsible for your oil leak. when you call Cummins, even though you have part #'s, have your ESN handy because that's how we look eveything up with quickserve. I did double check those numbers for the oring & plug, and they are right.

Wes

the likely hood of the oil galley plug blowing out is very rare, i dont think i have ever heard of that happening, i am confident that the cam plug is responsible for your oil leak. when you call Cummins, even though you have part #'s, have your ESN handy because that's how we look eveything up with quickserve. I did double check those numbers for the oring & plug, and they are right.

Wes
I went this AM to cummins southern plains and got the parts for Lance.. Thanks Wes for the part numbers they were what we needed. Really saved us some time..

back from when my 95 did it. Pushed out the plug and chewed up the front cover:

camwalk1.jpg

camwalk.jpg

I went this AM to cummins southern plains and got the parts for Lance.. Thanks Wes for the part numbers they were what we needed. Really saved us some time..

anytime, glad i could help. i was lucky enough to have one blow out on a ISC with a CAPS pump that was in a trash truck, talk about a fun repair......

Wes

back from when my 95 did it. Pushed out the plug and chewed up the front cover:

camwalk1.jpg

camwalk.jpg

Thats is exactly how mine is. Saturday i pulled tranny and adapter. The plug fell out when i pulled the adapter. Then i saw how far back the cam was. So, i pulled front cover and pulled the cam back foreward so that i could put a plug back in the back of the block.

SO... now i have to decide what i wanna do as far a cam wise.
1. buy a new cam
2. bring the stock cam to a machine shop to get it drilled and tapped for a retainer.

Lance

If it's in the budget, I would put an aftermarket cam in. You won't regret it.

is there enough room to put a retainer on the front of the stock cam??
Correct me if im wrong but... dont aftermarket cams made with the drilled and tapped hole for the retainer have shorter noses on them to compensate for the room issue between the gear and cover?

Lance

i would call zach at hamilton cams he can answer any question you have on what will work or not

Here are pictures of Lance's...

Attachments

• untitled (4).jpg
    untitled (4).jpg
    81.5 KB · Views: 11
  • untitled (5).jpg
    untitled (5).jpg
    54.1 KB · Views: 10
  • untitled (6).jpg
    untitled (6).jpg
    73.6 KB · Views: 12
  • untitled (7).jpg