Having some wierd problems

dodge05cr

Granny Shifter
I have an 05 cummins 6 speed. Here's some problems that I'm having. All of a sudden it is hard to start. It will crank over for about 2-3 seconds more than usual but it will still idle fine. I'm blowing coolant out of the radiator cap only after a WOT run. There is no leaks anywhere and its not filling up the overflow bottle either. The top radiator hose after the truck is up to temperature will be hot and solid, like its pressurized but my rad cap will be cold but the coolant wont go over 200 degrees. The coolant bypass valve was kind of stuck so i cleaned that out and it is now working properly but still having the same issues. Im throwing a 2146 injector circuit group A code. I checked and cleaned all 3 harness plugs and they were all perfect. Im so confused! Also one more thing, on my #1 injector the black plastic peice that the 2 nuts go on to, well it moves when i go to tighten the nuts down. Not sure why :bang

Last edited:
You got electrical problems, possible mechanical injector issues and probably a blown head gasket.

You got electrical problems, possible mechanical injector issues and probably a blown head gasket.

Electrical yes I just dont know where to start. And head gasket, I'm hoping not, but what about a bad thermostat or radiator cap? No coolant in the oil, and no smoke, resevoir isnt filling up.

The coolant system is being pressurized from another source it sounds like. If it was a bad stat or blockage truck would run hot When mine did this the studs were stretching allowing cylinder pressures to enter the cooling system. No mixing occurred. Try torquing the studs. The other issues sound injector related. Sounds like you have at least 1 solenoid loose. I would have all 6 tested.

Last edited:
my friend had similiar issues on his 08, ended up pulling the head, replacing the head gasket and also replaced the thermostat. It was good to go after that.

Electrical yes I just dont know where to start. And head gasket, I'm hoping not, but what about a bad thermostat or radiator cap? No coolant in the oil, and no smoke, resevoir isnt filling up.

I only call it how I see it by your initial description. No use sugar coating it.

The coolant system is being pressurized from another source it sounds like. If it was a bad stat or blockage truck would run hot When mine did this the studs were stretching allowing cylinder pressures to enter the cooling system. No mixing occurred. Try torquing the studs. The other issues sound injector related. Sounds like you have at least 1 solenoid loose. I would have all 6 tested.

I'm going to take the injectors out today, send them all out to have tested. I will also retorque the studs and see if any of them were lose. Thanks guys I appreciate it.

I'm going to take the injectors out today, send them all out to have tested. I will also retorque the studs and see if any of them were lose. Thanks guys I appreciate it.

Did you put studs in without removing the head?

I'm gunna say head gasket. I don't care what code it's throwing. No electrical issue cause the cooling system to pressurize up like that. I'd check the t-stat first but sounds like a HG to me man

I'm gunna say head gasket. I don't care what code it's throwing. No electrical issue cause the cooling system to pressurize up like that. I'd check the t-stat first but sounds like a HG to me man

I no this, I have several different problems all at once. I pressure tested it last night. Put it up to 15psi and left it alone for 2 hours and it didnt move at all. I was told to try this next, take the top hose off the coolant overflow bottle, put it in a gallon jug of water. Start the truck and if it blows bubbles its a blown head gasket. So I will keep everyone posted on this.
And for the injector issue, the black plastic part on the top on my #1 injector spins when i tighten or loosen the 8mm nuts, why would that be moving and could that be my issue for throwing the 2146 code.

Last edited:
Yes I agree to the Injector and no pressure testing will be accurate. The cracks or bad head gasket will only allow cooling system pressurization at high cylender cylender or block temps. If you test a cool engine it won't reveal the cracks. If upper radiator hose is hard as a Brick after driving for a good while it's defiantly a head gasket issue.

Yes I agree to the Injector and no pressure testing will be accurate. The cracks or bad head gasket will only allow cooling system pressurization at high cylender cylender or block temps. If you test a cool engine it won't reveal the cracks. If upper radiator hose is hard as a Brick after driving for a good while it's defiantly a head gasket issue.

So the testing the overflow hose into a water jug won't work your saying? I was told that would be the only way to 100% see if its a blown head gasket. He said not to rev the engine, just start it and if its blowing bubbles into the water bottle then its a blown gasket. He said it takes compression in the cylinders to force the coolant out, so do the water jug test.

It will prove the same thing. I have never seen a cummins, dmax, powerstroke ever not have a blown head gasket or cracked head(s) wheb the upper radiator hose be rock hard after a normal drive. It's never been a t-stat or rad cap. When I say hard I mean you can't squeeze the hose for anything. As if it was a piece of PVC.

Also 9/10 times the exhaust is pressurizing up when cylender temps or pressures are higher than that of normal ideling

So the testing the overflow hose into a water jug won't work your saying? I was told that would be the only way to 100% see if its a blown head gasket. He said not to rev the engine
it's not 100%. on my puller driving around the pits and ideling it was fine. Only time I had issues was under heavy load after 3/4 track the head would lift under extreme cylinder pressures and put pressure in the cooling system. When I lifted throttle all was good and it would seal back up. Radiator overflow looked like a garden hose. Torque the studs and see if it helps, if not pull the head because the Gibson is right IMO.

it's not 100%. on my puller driving around the pits and ideling it was fine. Only time I had issues was under heavy load after 3/4 track the head would lift under extreme cylinder pressures and put pressure in the cooling system. When I lifted throttle all was good and it would seal back up. Radiator overflow looked like a garden hose. Torque the studs and see if it helps, if not pull the head because the Gibson is right IMO.

Sounds good guys, thanks for the help. I'll let you guys know exactly what went wrong here in acouple days when I have time to get it all apart. :thankyou2: