Haze constantly

DRT086.7

On my 5.9 I've got 1k miles since I rebuilt it and Ive got a constant haze at idle. It also hazes while running it down the road at any speed. It doesnt smoke any more at start up so I don't think I have an injector leaking. The truck has 90k miles on the injector bodies. I believe its just because I havent tuned it yet, I wanted to get all my bugs worked out before I began messing with the timing and such.

I would say it has to be just bc your running bigger nozzles and you have no timing in it like you said. I would try timing it an seeing what it does then.

What color is the haze? What does it smell like? It's definitely fuel?

Yeah its definitely fuel, its white and smells like its just too much fuel. Im going to EFI live it here soon since I have all my bugs worked out. I just though I'd see if anyone had any other thoughts on it. I haven't ever used as big injectors as I have in this thing.

Yeah its definitely fuel, its white and smells like its just too much fuel. Im going to EFI live it here soon since I have all my bugs worked out. I just though I'd see if anyone had any other thoughts on it. I haven't ever used as big injectors as I have in this thing.

Somethings wrong if its hazing. 100% overs will haze so little you can only see it at night in the car behind you headlights.

I would lean towards it being a tuning issue. When I went from 100hp nozzles to 60% overs on my truck it hazed all the time as well. EFI live should take care of it because you can pull some fuel at idle and cruising(part throttle) and play with the timing. I'm not a CUMMINGS guys but I can't imagine our issues were all that different.

Last edited:
Mine doesn't haze and its very clean especially when running the stock tune. I'm running 80% overs as well.

Even if it did I would be concerned if it was white.

Last edited:
Well I was thinking of the rings as a possibility. I know when we overhaul on highway truck engines it takes about 5k miles or so for all the haze to go away on some trucks. I just figured that this one would be like the other small engines I do.

When I break motors in I run them without coolant @ 2k rpm till motor is good and hot. Usually about 7-10 minutes. After that it's game time.

Last edited:
Ya I would agree with the post right above. You definitely need to get that motor hot to let them rings seat. I would maybe try that..