He351 and what injectors

cumminsfeller

I have a 93 D250 5spd, mostly stock with exception of Denny T stage 2 fuel pin and BHAF. I got a HE351 that I plan to swap on it but I'm curious about what injectors to run. I'll also be upgrading to either piston lift pump or another aftermarket pump.

So curious as to what injectors to run. Truck is mostly a DD and will tow with it occasionally. Also, will a piston lift pump feed it ok or would I need to look at something like a FASS?

Yes, better lift pump. You can use either mechanical or electric. Do your homework and weigh out the pros and cons of each and money, time spent building the system

351 is a fun upgrade.

Injectors, I suggest you contact one of the many vendors on CompD. Lots of quality options out there. You need to be very honest about what you use the truck for. Everyone wants to be big and bad, but in reality you use the truck every day and tow. Sure you can daily drive 5x0.22's but will they do what you need them to do??? Absolutely not! I'd guess some quality built 5x0.012-14's would do you well.

I've asked the exact same question on CF but with an automatic and the answer was some 6x13 SAC or VCO honed out to 80 LPM. This assumes you still have the crappy stock I/C pistons. Supposedly this is the ticket for least smoke while not hindering your ability to pull ~400hp out the truck.

80 lpm sticks, a 351 on a stock'ish pump. You are saying you can be kinda smoke free and make 400 HP???

Pump tuning, timing, injectors and how you drive it will effect how it performs/tows.

Piston pump will serve you well, unless you plan on upgrading more later on. If you might go farther with the truck I personally say build a good lift pump system NOW, electric pumps are a option either way.. I put my personal lift pump build up on here, I love my system been bullet proof so far.

Injectors on the other hand... just for a little idea. I daily drive my truck 90, 6 speed, 3.07s and 35s with a old smokey set of 4x024s, fuel mods, pin, timing advanced and a 62mm h1c with a 16cm housing, it should be a smokey pig but daily's and tows well. You gotta know where you foot is but its fun and works. But not everyone cant just hop in it and keep it semi clean.

Personally I'd call some of the vendors on here like said be honest, they will point you in the right direction.

Last edited:
Stock 250k mile auto with tractor fluid.

370s, 351, Hungry Diesel lift pump, ground stock pin plus lots of tuning, a boost leak, stock timing and 28psi netted me 264hp. After I fixed the timing, boost leaks and added boost, it was a riot to drive.

I took the stock gov spring WAY past its defuel point. Never got around to installing the 4200 rpm spring in it

I think we ended up with 7x.010 in my buddy's truck, with an HE351. It runs awesome, spools instantly, and with tuning, isn't too smoky.

80 lpm sticks, a 351 on a stock'ish pump. You are saying you can be kinda smoke free and make 400 HP???

I'm parroting what I've read from my own research. Specifically that the 6x13 at 80lpm gave the most power with minimal idle haze.

The cheapest setup I've seen to get to 400hp with I/C pistons and a 351cw is Eric at hungry Diesel who managed just over 400hp with with stock 6x09 injectors honed to 47lpm and a maxed pump. That was a stick shift truck but still impressive.

I'd don't know why he advocates such huge injector flow but the cheap option is to hone the 6x09 and see what happens. Also I doubt your going to clean up 400hp of diesel fuel injected at VE pressures and RPM with a single turbo. Going to smoke no matter what.

Thanks for all the replies. I'm sure down the road I'll end up going bigger. I have an opportunity to get a p-pump for reasonably cheap so I'll have that available to me at some point too.

80LPM + 400HP = minimal smoke???

I am curious how you arrived at this conclusion.

Do post your results.

I've asked the exact same question on CF but with an automatic and the answer was some 6x13 SAC or VCO honed out to 80 LPM. This assumes you still have the crappy stock I/C pistons. Supposedly this is the ticket for least smoke while not hindering your ability to pull ~400hp out the truck.

jlbayes, I appreciate you summarizing that confusing-on-a-phone screen thread for me.

dpaqu - what did you end up going with?

I run 80lpm 6x13s. They run hard and clean up very well.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

I'm running a 351cw over a S472 with 6X13 vco and it runs really good but I haven't ran it as a single so i couldn't tell you how it runs with 6x13s

Back