head bolt question

moneymaker44

ok i am about to do a head gasket on my truck and a few other things if all the stuff gets in before i pop the head off for a new gasket ! question is
Can the head bolts be reused or will new ones even if stock style have to be bought! reason being i find head studs every where but new bolts are hard to find i guess its stealer time. wish i could do the 12mm head studs but funds don't go that far right now. Any help would be appreciated !

moneymaker44 said:
ok i am about to do a head gasket on my truck and a few other things if all the stuff gets in before i pop the head off for a new gasket ! question is
Can the head bolts be reused or will new ones even if stock style have to be bought! reason being i find head studs every where but new bolts are hard to find i guess its stealer time. wish i could do the 12mm head studs but funds don't go that far right now. Any help would be appreciated !

How many times have they been off? If this is the first time then you could reuse them.$.02

If this is the first time off, you can reuse them with no problem unless you are going to go big with hp. I went with new ones from Cummins. Reasonable cost. Could have reused the orig's, but went with new. Clean the old ones real good, clean the holes in the block, I even chased the threads, and lightly oil the bolts before install. I did one retorque after warm up also.

ok great ! this is the first time the heads been off ! just getting a little seep of coolant right under the t-stat housing thought that was it but its the head gasket seeping. as far as big HP i might get 400-450 when done but thats it not getting all wild with this one right now.

If you're going to reuse them, I think it would pay to check the length to make sure one hasn't gone over it's 'torque to yield' spec. I wouldn't reuse them since the last set I bought was $2.64 per bolt.

where you find them other than the stealership ? no auto parts in my area seems to have them

joefarmer said:
The local Cummins which is 0.232 miles from my house.
I guess Brandon doesn't need to be Speedie Gonzalez to make a quick pats run. I have about a 50 mile run to a Cummins Shop.:bang

Jff24Gordn said:
I guess Brandon doesn't need to be Speedie Gonzalez to make a quick pats run. I have about a 50 mile run to a Cummins Shop.:bang
When you were standing on my porch, you could have seen it! :hehe:

lucky you ! my cummins dealer is on the other side of houston from me ! it would be about a 1 1/2 to 2 hour drive for me ! but good luck i have a guy who works for me that does not live far from it so i will price the bolts and give him the money to pick them up and bring them to work so it saves me a long drive. thats the great thing about country living every thing is long drive :) my luck is it's never on my side of houston !

joefarmer said:
The local Cummins which is 0.232 miles from my house.
heck my drive way is 1 10th mile long its self before i could get to the main road you could be at the cummins parts house :hehe:

moneymaker44 said:
heck my drive way is 1 10th mile long its self before i could get to the main road you could be at the cummins parts house :hehe:

I don't know about that...Brandon would have to get out of bed, and then navigate the retards in Hilliard on his 1/4 mile trek to Cummins!

Chris

joefarmer said:
If you're going to reuse them, I think it would pay to check the length to make sure one hasn't gone over it's 'torque to yield' spec. I wouldn't reuse them since the last set I bought was $2.64 per bolt.

dang inflation 3.64 per bolt here ! yeah every thing is big in texas ! Taxes, Prices

I dunno if it helps, but I got mine though the Wichita, KS dealer and shipped from the Kansas City warehouse.