Head bolt retorque vs new bolts vs arp 425s

maxwedgehead

Looking for some opinions because there is a lot of controversy my mods are I'm my sig. But tomorrow I'm ordering a BD super B special. My question is should I retorque the factory head bolts if so what's the best procedure, or but new head bolts and install one at a time, if so torque to??? Or Arp 425s one at a time. My ears are open!

When I got that turbo, I bought new bolts from Cummins and over torqued them. I probably went 3 steps to 115 ft lbs, then 5lb increments up to 130-135, letting them sit for a bit in between the last few pulls. It held for a few years of 45-50 psi. A few years later I torque them again somewhere around 115 ft lbs plus 90*. They felt like butter, but never let go, even at 55-60 psi. On the initial install I did new HG and decked head, though, so I'm sure that helped it seal.

As big as the exhaust is on that turbo, I wouldn't be that worried about excessive drive pressure.

you are running a vp44.. overtorque the stockers.. just pull them all down to like 130 or so in a few steps. you cant develop enough cylinder pressure with that pump to really hurt them..
if it happens later it happens, then stud it, but for now. enjoy it!

I'm thinking order a set of cummins bolts, replace one at a time with arp lube to factory spec then take them to 130 in increments of 5. Snedge, please price me some bolts shipped to 65775

Snedge, I just did the turbo and will do injector this weekend. Would like to put a new set of head bolts in. Could you pm me a price on head bolts sent to 37336? Thanks Dave

I wouldn't use mighty bolts to hold my huffy together after seeing how much of a joke they are. Used them on a stock truck when I replaced the gasket. They were garbage. The ones that didn't break from being so brittle threaded in like ****.

Back