Head Bolts

9612vinva

Da Man
When i re torque my head bolt do i have to take them out them re torque or can i do in place???:bang

When i re torque my head bolt do i have to take them out them re torque or can i do in place???:bang

Leave them in...Start in the mid and work your way out....bump them no more than 5 ft.lbs. at a time....

Leave 'em in, pull in 5 lb. incriments, and if takes alot more than the rest, STOP it's stretching and about to break or pull the threads from the block.

start at the center and work ur way out.... heres the torque sequence

442a296106e7.jpg

looking to get 18* timing tomorrow and dont need any problems with a head gasket

yea i know that feelin.... when i advaced mine to 18*, i popped the gasket 4hrs later:eek:wned:

ok well i checked the money and i can get head studs. Was looking at the A1 studs since you dont have to clearance the rockers. ANyone got a install guide. Howe hard is it to do in place? Any other tips or suggestion would be helpful

ok well i checked the money and i can get head studs. Was looking at the A1 studs since you dont have to clearance the rockers. ANyone got a install guide. Howe hard is it to do in place? Any other tips or suggestion would be helpful

why not just buy new head bolts?

Alot of people run over torqued head bolts with great results. Alot of people wouldn't run anything but studs. If you are pulling the head and it's not o-ringed now is the time. I'd say you probably need to remove the head to run a tap down the threads. Good luck!

If you are going to get studs I think you should probably replace the headgasket too, if not o-ring or fire ring the head. As for the A1 studs (if you are talking about the H-11 material) I put them in my truck and I have only driven it for a week and the rest of the time it has been sitting for some performance upgrades. However I was told when I bought them that if you do blow a head gasket that the matrial is easily oxidized and will rust about 10x faster than normal head studs.

To installl them you should clean out the bolt holes in the block and oil the studs really well. Make sure all of them are bottoming out in the holes. Place the gasket on...drop the head on... then install the head studs if you are doing this with the motor in the truck. Then torque the like everyone else is saying.

Hope this helps some and if I am wrong about something someone please correct me

Adam M.

Who ever wanted a printable picture there you go.
TorqueSequence.jpg

Anyone do a cold torque then a hot torque with head studs I know at work we do that a lot on pressure vessels and heat exchangers?