Head gasket blown?

12vCumminsFTW

Just noticed that there appears to be oil leaking from the headgasket joint on the pass. side of the engine. Didn't think there were any oil passages on that side of the block? Its also been using oil and hazing blue at idle. I put in a new gasket and H11 studs like 9 months ago. Torqued to 140 or so. Any thoughts? This sucks, I was planning on going on a 3000 mile road trip next week.:bang

How much oil is it "using"? Block and/or head decked prior to new gasket?

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1352864533.451676.jpg
Not sure how much oil it's using. I've probably added a quart the past couple weeks. Head and block were not decked. Engine has 252,000 miles on it. I've been pushing 50-60 psi.

Sent from my iPhone 4s

View attachment 38902
Not sure how much oil it's using. I've probably added a quart the past couple weeks. Head and block were not decked. Engine has 252,000 miles on it. I've been pushing 50-60 psi.

Might be the problem. Or possibly damaged the hg when putting the head back on. Done that one before :doh:

Is the leak near the front or rear?

Might be the problem. Or possibly damaged the hg when putting the head back on. Done that one before :doh:

Is the leak near the front or rear?

looks like its kinda in the middle of the block. IIRC the head was warped a liitle, but it was still in spec, so I put it on anyway. I guess its probably time to get it decked and maybe oring it.

looks like its kinda in the middle of the block. IIRC the head was warped a liitle, but it was still in spec, so I put it on anyway. I guess its probably time to get it decked and maybe oring it.

I'm not saying that's it but it's a good possibility. Getting it decked wouldn't hurt.

What head gasket did you put on it?

I would look at the of the bottom of the exhaust port to make sure the oil is not coming from there before you pull the head. And i think all the oil gallie's are on the other side of the engine.

Is the oil coming from a exhaust port maybe?

Quite possible, the manifold gaskets are old and have been reused many times.

maybe a leaky valve guide seal on the exhuast side...

Dang, I didn't even think of that. I did put new seals in when I pulled the head, but they were the old style that just push on the guide. I have turned 4K+ quite a bit, so I suppose one could have popped off. I'll definitely have to check them.

I pulled the valve covers, the seals all appear to be fine. Is it possible the rings are worn and leaking by some? This engine has had a hard life. I do tend to idle it a lot in the cold,(I know, not a good idea) and it hazes blue the whole time. Perhaps its getting a fair amount of cylinder washdown at cold idle, esp. with the big 5x.018 injectors?

Last edited:
I think the blue haze is the injectors. You can do a leak down test but i would pull the exhaust manifold to see if the oil is coming from the exhaust port.

You mentioned blue smoke, I figured burning oil. And then someone mentioned wash down, so I figured check the oil for fuel.

Sent from my DROID3 using Tapatalk 2

Pulled the turbo, the rear part of the manifold is wet with oil!
IMG_0126.jpg

Internal engine problems? I recently pulled the valve covers and all of the valve guide seals looked fine as far as I could see.

Back