Head Gasket Opinions

irontx25

Got some ARPs in the mail last week.... wondering if any of Yall have any input on wich head gaskets to go with.... stock or something after market...going to be spraying it before long .... only want to do this once..need a little input.. Thanks

Stock MLS, make sure the heads and deck are flat and follow the torque sequence to a T.

MLS style is great..however there are some other available options, a new black onyx head gasket is out thats just like the MLS except it has the seal coating on both sides of the gasket all over the entire surface area, where as the OEM just has a border ring and cylinder rings, the goal of this if for better sealing properties..they have worked very well for us so far, plus they are a bit cheaper then OEM

OEM looks like this:
DSC03421Large.jpg

Black Onyx:
blackonyx.jpg

You can go copper as well. The copper can be ordered in different thicknesses over stock in case you had to mill the head.

cool thats what i was looking for yall..... dont know what the heads look like yet ... will be pulling the motor in a week or so... figured i would try to have all my ducks in a row....gonna try to get everything tore down and back together in 1 week work scedule permiting...could someone point me in the right direction to have a look see at some gaskets to get some prices ???

Not to change subject. But when doing heads do they check to make sure the heads r flat with a tool or do they just mill a little of to make sure
Thanks

far as i know the old if it aint broke dont fix it comes into play.... i HOPE i dont have to have anything milled on mine.... just gonna check to make sure their flat... if their within spec im gonna slap em back on there...oh and yea they use some kinda strait edge.... watched a video on it ...never done it myself though.... hope i can get it done without killing it... wont know till i try...

I just talked to your cousin on the phone. Give me a shout if you have any questions.

thanks .... will probably have lots of questions.....could use all the help i can get

general concensus tends to be mill 'em anyway.

Agreed. I know of a couple people that got brand new heads to replace cracked ones that were 2 thousandths off. That is "within spec" but since your doing it, why not do it right!