Head question?

sstockton

I know the 24v heads are prone to cracking. I've been told that If my truck has seen over 1500 degrees and popped the headgasket, that the head is probably damaged. However, I haven't popped a headgasket yet, so is it still probably damaged? I don't really see why it would be, it shouldn't have warped right or cracked right?

The reason why I'm asking is because I want to get my head oringed, and probably put in a marine 12v gasket at the same time. Am I going to encounter problems doing this with my stock head? It seems like a lot of guys do it, I'm just curious if its something I should be worried about.
Thanks,
Sean

I have done many O-Rings on stock heads. They do just fine. If you want to be sure that you don't have a cracked head, take it to a machine shop and have them go through the whole thing and check for cracks. And just for peace of mind, your going to want to have studs.$.02

The machine shop you have O-ring the head should be able to check it for cracks as well.

You would be able to see the cracks yourself upon removal of cylinder head- pay attention by the exhaust valves....

And on other note, there maybe small heat cracks but those usually don't matter. You have to watch for cracks that come around and enter back into the passage or go from one passage to the other, those are the major ones. But really small heat cracks will not be a big problem unless they are extremely deep.

I would have it check by whoever does the rings. It may need surfaced. Thats important.

Wouldn't magnufluxing help solve the problem of figureing out the cracks? We do it with 350 heads everyday so help se where the major and minor cracks are.

The Mag may show some cracks around Ex Vlvs. if your curious.
If your not pushing water, and your water temp has been heathy then your head is likely ok.
I will never try to talk anybody out of being cautious though. You should have the head looked at, 'cause you hope to leave it on once its there right?

Last edited:
Yeah, pretty much, I like to do things once and right. I was thinking of having it magnufluxed just to check, and it sounds like that probably isn't a bad idea. My water temp has been fine, I'm not losing any coolant anywhere, and my coolant seems to be in fine shape. The only time I have had temp issues was towing once with a bad thermostat. Didn't know it was bad until I got to a really steep hill with a really heavy load. But I made it without over heating. So I'm thinking it should be good. I will definitely get it checked though, before having it cut for o-rings.
Sean

Mag and pressure test the head, stay away from HO head with the press in seats.....

Doug

I am on my #5 head gasket even with orings you need the mls gasket from cometic gaskets they will hold up to 80 PSI with studs of coarse and your head most likely going to be fine but would have it maged just in case I have my own mag and checked mine every time I had a problem and found nothing but valve seal peaces all over from too much boost keep it below 65 PSI with the MLS gasket and you should never have a problem and won't need to oring your head I know Mass diesel can get them!! If you call you ask for scott.
Good Luck!!!!!!!!

Heck if your gonna ride the bus, you might as well sit up front. Get fire-rings.:rockwoot:

Some people can't always afford that bus seat.... Or have time to wait fo that bus to arrive...

I only paid $570 for the fire-rings and that was with machine a resurface, head grooves, fire rings and gasket. I think o-ringing is $400.

Anytime you want to do headwork to the motors the head should be checked for cracks and pressure checked. That being said a jetwash or something is needed. Then the head should be surfaced, valves and guides checked, along with the grooves or rings installed. A typical O-ring job will set you back $600 + gasket...... Although I do feel fire-rings have their place I personally don't like them on street vehicles. The longevity of a good O-ring job just seems to last longer under everyday use.

Doug

Yea, back in PA it was usually around $600 or so as JP said. Plus you got to get the head off, get it sent out, tanked or jet washed, fluxed, decked, cut and reinstalled. I know some of us have all the time in the world but I use my truck everyday as my daily driver and must have it. Its definately nice to have o-ring/fire rings for higher boost levels but most trucks don't need it with a good head gaskets and proper torque specs.

I like living around the race shops! Average decked head costs $55-75. Magnaflux is on the house if you have the o-rings and other machining done there.