head stud tq...???

brushpuller

Thinkin...
Got a smokn deal on a set of 12mm head studs last night for 175$!!! They were in the truck for less then 6 months and he went to 14mm's. Anyway they are A-1's and my question is what should i TQ them to? Also im wondering if i should install them with the stock HG (it's not blown or leaking) or wait and do it right with a good HG/fire rings and head work? Iv only got about mid 40's... maybe 50 lb's of boost PSI. I guess im asking how much stronger will the studs make the stock HG? Thanks for your help!

studs with stock HG should hold 50psi... but all it takes is one time going high boost on a cold motor and you can blow it. I would definitely install them even with a stock gasket, it will help. Take each stock bolt out one at a time and replace with stud and torque back down before loosening the second one. Use plenty of ARP Lube and TQ to at least 125ft. lbs. My ARP's are tq'd to 140

Lavon

Mine are at 150 Pretty much anything less and i cant keep a head gasket in it and it's an oringed head.

Tq. Specs.

DIESELHEADBOLTSPECS.gif
Just in case, here's the tq. sequence....I also followed up 140 ft.lbs., I'm only street.strip.

im running stock bolts at 125, 60psi daily, few whoop's to 80-90psi while tuning the twins.

id do the studs to 140

im running stock bolts at 125, 60psi daily, few whoop's to 80-90psi while tuning the twins.

id do the studs to 140

your flirtin with the devil.......

i had mine torqued to what i thought was with marine gasket.......but my new top of the line snap on tq wrench was screwed up and only torqued to 75......i know i should know the diff between 75 and 140 pullin on a wrench....but its a lot longer than a standard 1/2 drive tq wrench lol

im planin on putin the head back on this weekend and going back to 140(with my old tq wrench lol).

what do you all do for the tq steps.....40, 80, 140? or what? and did you bottom tap the block?

no orings, stock headgasket, been this way for over 10,000 miles

i brought them from what ever they were to 125 in one shot, they all went about 120* of rotation, and then checked once more.

You pray daily don't you...:) Thats the only reason its held so far.

Lavon

your flirtin with the devil.......

i had mine torqued to what i thought was with marine gasket.......but my new top of the line snap on tq wrench was screwed up and only torqued to 75......i know i should know the diff between 75 and 140 pullin on a wrench....but its a lot longer than a standard 1/2 drive tq wrench lol

im planin on putin the head back on this weekend and going back to 140(with my old tq wrench lol).

what do you all do for the tq steps.....40, 80, 140? or what? and did you bottom tap the block?

i like to bring to 90, then in 5lb increments to whatever your going to.

alright lest not start picking on my spelling lol

the nuts on the studs turn eaiser, because there fine thread where the bolts are course. but 5lbs dont seem like verry much.

ive run studs before, i know how they work, ive also never had an issue torquing by 30's

30, 60, 90, 120, final

as long as you follow the torque pattern i dont see how bringing the torque up in smaller increments helps any.

There is a big argument on the VW TDI forum witch is better eather studs or stock head bolts and how to torque.