head studs?

Flowerstroke

this may be a stupid question. But can u put the headstuds in a 6.0 one at a time like a cummins had a guy at work say something about he did a set that way mine is getting done this winter and just curious if this is possible.

Yes, you can. Is it the best way to do it? No. I would want to know how the gaskets and heads look.

does the cab have to be lifted some say yes some say no? and if i pull the heads off ive heard to use the oem gaskets instead of the aftermarkets

You should have the cab lifted, yes. Also, have the heads checked/machined at a reputable machine shop (check for cracks, and have them pressure tested). Lastly, yes, use OEM head gaskets and NOT aftermarket.

But, if you are doing the studs one at a time it would be pointless to lift the cab.

if the truck is okay now, no coolant loss, then sure leave the cab on and do them one at a time..

I prefer to have the heads off and checked, wouldnt want to do the job more than once.

if the truck is okay now, no coolant loss, then sure leave the cab on and do them one at a time..

I prefer to have the heads off and checked, wouldnt want to do the job more than once.

This. I would even leave them alone. Now if you were working on the truck(say for an oil cooler) id do them on at a time.

Its not going to hurt to do it. You can torque the studs more than once.

well if im gonna take the heads off then how do u all fill about oringing them my plan is have twins on it by next winter. or should i just wait and pullem off then and just one by one for now

Flat heads, OEM gaskets and studs hold really well.

The main thing is to get them decked and checked for cracks.

You think it is smart to do wait till the head gaskets blow or just do it to get it out of the way?

I'm the type of guy that doesn't like to fi something till it breaks. So I'd wait.

Now if you were digging into the truck to replace let's say a oil cooler, then I'd probably go ahead and do studs.

I agree. Hopefully it's not too surprising when they finally go and I break more shnit than usual. It shouldnt though. Have not herd of any stories really that did that.

You may not have to pull the cab off, but it does need to be lifted around 4 inches or so to get one of the headbolts out

Pull the cab or motor to be the LEAST painful. If you swap the studs in one at a time, you'll likely being doing the process again with the heads off.

Back