head studs

jr22

oilfield equipped
This is more of a poll question. I am building a 24v motor for my project is it worth the upgrade to go from 12mm to a 14 mm head stud. reaming the block and head takes time also other options to o-ringing the head. Thanks, JR

jr22 said:
This is more of a poll question. I am building a 24v motor for my project is it worth the upgrade to go from 12mm to a 14 mm head stud. reaming the block and head takes time also other options to o-ringing the head. Thanks, JR

In my opinion, it is not worth it, unless you are building a 1000+ hp motor.

As far as o ringing, you can also do a fire ring, depending on what you plan on doing with the motor, boost #'s, water/meth, nitrous, etc.

what are the main differance betwwen o-ring and firering in terms of performance applications ?? Thanks, jr

O-ring is a small .035-.045 S.S. wire in a groove cut in head or sleeve, bites into stock head gasket, also can be used on a solid copper gasket. Fire rings .060 - .130 rolled and welded round rings set in grooved sleeve but do not bite into a gasket like the o-ring. The fire ring is in contact with both the sleeve and the head.
Another type starting to show up on tractors is a ring with a square profile milled out of S.S. tubing about .250 wide x .120 tall. They also sit in a milled groove in the sleeve, but use no head gasket. These do not use any head gasket, all of cooling and oil passages in the block are milled to accept small tubes and rubber o-rings.