head torquing and heat cycles ?

mopar or no car

Just put on an oringed head, torqued the head bolts to 130 ft lbs. By next monday I'll be driving 6 hrs on interstate, pulling some good hills. How many times should I retorque the bolts and at what engine temps should I torque at? Right now, trans is in pieces on the garage floor, so driving won't happen till later this week, but can let engine run till operating temp is reached. Will need to warm it up to change oil anyhow. I read the line torque article, but I don't have a few weeks to baby it, she has to be ready to rock and roll by the weekend. Jordan

Last edited:
We torque the stock bolts to 135 and then let it get to operating temperature. Then let the engine cool back down to room temperature and retorque to 135. Should be good to go after that. Make sure you torque the headbolts in the correct pattern.

you will get all diff opinions on this. I say run your heat cycle let it cool off then retorque

Here's my post from another thread.

I called Garmon today about using the stock head bolts since using the search feature brought up a bunch of useless info and smart ass comments.

He told me that if I'm going to use high temp axle grease fallow factory torque specs and then work up in 5lb increments. Once at 120 IIRC, mark the bolts so you can see if one is moving more than the rest. Let the bolts rest for a while to cool down due to the heat built up from torquing them down. Work your way up to 150lbs.
Apply axle grease to the threads and underside of the bolt head.

I told him I was using ARP torque lube. He said this was a little different because of how slick this stuff is. He said that 125lbs with ARP torque lube is egual to 150lbs with axle grease. Here's what I did and he said he wouldn't have done it any different.

Apply ARP torque lube to the threads and underside of the bolt head. Don't skimp.
60lbs, 80lbs, 90lbs, 100lbs, 110lbs. I let them rest for 5+ min between.
I let it sit over night because I was sick of laying over the top of the motor.
2nd day, 115lbs, 120lbs, 125lbs. This time I let it rest for about and hour between.

I asked him about heat cycles and whether to brake them loose or just check them after a couple heat cycles. He told me to do one heat cycle (operating temp and then cool down over night) and check them at 125lbs. If I was feeling brave I could take them to 130lbs. This is the way he does it and has never had one not torque to what he set it at. After the heat cycle and checking them, forget about them. Do NOT brake them loose and retorque them.

Hope this helps someone if the future. And IMO ARP torque lube is worth the few dollars it cost. I have the 1/2 pint jar and it last a lifetime for $22.

^^ this is good info

I will be doing the same with stock headbolts and a o-ringed head.

I called Garmon today about using the stock head bolts since using the search feature brought up a bunch of useless info and smart ass comments.

He told me that if I'm going to use high temp axle grease fallow factory torque specs and then work up in 5lb increments. Once at 120 IIRC, mark the bolts so you can see if one is moving more than the rest. Let the bolts rest for a while to cool down due to the heat built up from torquing them down. Work your way up to 150lbs.

I told him I was using ARP torque lube. He said this was a little different because of how slick this stuff is. He said that 125lbs with ARP torque lube is egual to 150lbs with axle grease. Here's what I did and he said he wouldn't have done it any different.

Apply ARP torque lube to the threads and underside of the bolt head. Don't skimp.
2nd day, 115lbs, 120lbs, 125lbs. This time I let it rest for about and hour between.

I asked him about heat cycles and whether to brake them loose or just check them after a couple heat cycles. He told me to do one heat cycle (operating temp and then cool down over night) and check them at 125lbs. If I was feeling brave I could take them to 130lbs. This is the way he does it and has never had one not torque to what he set it at. After the heat cycle and checking them, forget about them. Do NOT brake them loose and retorque them.

Hope this helps someone if the future. And IMO ARP torque lube is worth the few dollars it cost. I have the 1/2 pint jar and it last a lifetime for $22.

Do you use new bolts, or just the take the ones out and lube them up?

Also during the torquing process, do you break them loose and then increase 5lb's at a time, or just dial the wrench up and go?

Also during the torquing process, do you break them loose and then increase 5lb's at a time, or just dial the wrench up and go?

^Same question

I would recommend new bolts, but its up to whomever is doing it. If they were to reuse them I'd make sure they're not stretched out of spec.

You do not brake them loose. Bump up in 5lb increments.

It's worked for me so far, but I'm not pushing a lot of boost or HP.

Wonder if I could keep the stock head gasket and pull the bolts one at a time and lube them up. Then torque them down like this?

^ that's what I did and its been working for me used arp grease n new bolts pulled them 1 at a time with head on started at 100 in 5lb increments up to 155 let bolts cool for 30min in between and never worried about retourqueing after heat cycle due to laziness n I get on it when its cold all the time I've been waiting for the Damn thing to go already but she hasn't give in yet

^ that's what I did and its been working for me used arp grease n new bolts pulled them 1 at a time with head on started at 100 in 5lb increments up to 155 let bolts cool for 30min in between and never worried about retourqueing after heat cycle due to laziness n I get on it when its cold all the time I've been waiting for the Damn thing to go already but she hasn't give in yet

Awesome, thanks!

I did mine like 95 ram. I have o-rings and new stock bolts torqued to 130ftlbs with arp lube. Only did one retorque so far and its holding great. I plan on doing another since the engine has about 1500 miles on it now.

The o-ringing, especially with a thicker gasket, seems to allow stuff to move around more. My 89 was done with an initial torquing sequence and allowed to sit overnight. Then torqued to 125 again, all of them moved. Final start and heat cycle, and then a hot retorque to 140lb-ft. Valve lash tightened, indicating the head sunk down a little more. I checked it about a month later and everything seemed fine. Been like that for a few years now.

Pretty much what I do, but I go in 10lb increments, with maybe 10min cool down inbetween. 1 heat cycle, let the motor cool down, and recheck without breaking loose. I'm very impatient.