Head work

biggy238

I have done a novice port job on my cylinder head and have seen this relief cut in another thread.

Is it intended to promote scavenging and is it safe for a stock head?
rupaqara.jpg

Monkey Fist Rage

It won't have much of a performance affect at all. They say it is to prevent cracking. When a 12v head cracks, thats where everyone Ive seen cracks at. Is between the valves.

Thanks gents. Any tips or tricks to throw at mine while I can still work on it?

Monkey Fist Rage

Is that picture of your head? If not post up a picture of yours with the porting you've done.

e3umu9yh.jpg

I have some terrible pictures. I meant to get some better ones. I followed what piers had a photo of and one of the threads on here. I have to get some stones to smooth it with.
eresuma3.jpg

I will get more tomorrow.
u2aneda9.jpg

Monkey Fist Rage

Last edited:
This is what I used for a basis

I'm curious about these also. More stress relief?
3yna8etu.jpg

Monkey Fist Rage

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1395960715400.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1395960715400.jpg
    8.4 KB · Views: 0
My discussion with a few engine builders; unshrouding the valves helps low lift flow a lot. Enough to be well worth doing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My discussion with a few engine builders; unshrouding the valves helps low lift flow a lot. Enough to be well worth doing.

Well, I had read mention on unshrouding, but none with enough definition of what was meant for me to attempt it. Is what's in the picture above sufficient?

Monkey Fist Rage

Also, this thing has been decked
~.020" so it is somewhat unshrouded from that process

Monkey Fist Rage

Make sure you have enough PTV clearance.

Biggy, did you paint your head white !? I wanted to do mine white, but Im not that brave.

That might lower your compression a bit. Have you got a valve job done? Usually pretty cheap to set the valve face depth.

A 3 angle? No. No valve work. (yet) That goes beyond the free or near free initiative.

And yes, I'm aware of the compression drop. I'm curious about the shims needed and the appropriate timing for this now that the head has been decked. I just hadn't gotten around to asking yet.

Monkey Fist Rage

My local injector guy told me there was only 3 thicknesses of injector washer shims. Thin..stock thickness..and thick.