Headlight Gremlin?!?

PDW Power

Supporting Vendor
I'll try to keep this short.

Low Beams not coming on after truck sits for 4+ hours.

I can get the Lows to come on if I bump to Highs for a second and back to Lows. They will stay on for my entire drive unless I go to Highs again. Then I loose the Lows when I go back. I pulled over since I lost Lows and tried to go to Highs to encourage the Lows to come on. No luck. I shut down the truck since we are having some snow I wanted this fixed before I continued. Started up and had to bump the highs on to get lows once again. Made it home and thought you all would like to have some input on this rediculousness.

Fuses are good.

Wiring seems good.

I've had 3 different makes of bulbs in and the same issue with every set.

This has happened before but doesn't always happen.

Mass Confusion...any input?

Thanks,

Pardon my ignorance, but what year, make, and model truck are we talking about here? :confused:

I had the same question...

The second gen Dodges are notorious for the headlight switches going bad, when I lost mine in the 96 I had the lows went, and with some playing with the multifunction switch you could get them on. I forget exactly what though...

I'm guessing the headlight switch is taking a dump, or the mulitfunction switch is dirty. Try working the MF every which way but loose real fast for a few min. But I'm guessing the headlight switch wants replaced.

I twisted prodded and damn near pulled the hl switch out in frustration, HAHA. I'll check all of them out and try to find replacements tomorrow. Thanks.

4-ways(blinkers) is a button on top of the column. High/Low is part of the windshield wiper control. Headlight on/off, dimmer, cargo and interior lamp is on the top left of the dash.

It made sense in my head!

When I said MF I was talking about the high/low and turn signals (blinkers is a southern thing:D) sometimes if it is acting up you can work it every which way and it will start working right again.

But I think the headlight switch id the far more likely culprit.

I'm sure it is one of those two that is giving me this problem. I'll try the On/Off switch first just because it's easier to get to. Then if that's not it i'll try the MF. I'll report the findings as soon as I get time to fool with it. Thanks again.

Go ahead and replace the multifunction switch, takes 6 screws and 20 minutes to do it. I need to replace the one in my truck, lost low beams about 2 months ago, just haven't gotten around to it yet :bang

Yeah i have a feeling i won't be getting around to it soon either. Thanks for the suggestion BG.

IIRC it's a #27 torx head and you HAVE to use a long skinny one to get the screws out, a replaceable bit type won't go far enough into the holes to get them.

Been 4-5 years since I did it last so I might be wrong on the size.