Heartland Park Sucks

pbft

Curmudgeon
These are my observations.

Audio system almost uninteligible. Many spectators (what few there were) complained to my wife that they couldn't understand much of anything.

Track prep almost non existant.

Timing light system screwed more than one competitor.

Track cleaning crew took an inordinate amount of time to clean the track after breakage. Not the usual track support equipment we see at much smaller tracks.

Track safety - This is a BIG one. One competitor blew a turbo (I think), big flash of fire, he stopped on the track after the top end lights. It was at least 5 minutes before ANY track personnel showed up to see if he was alright. TOTALLY UNACCEPTABLE!!!!!!

THE NHRDA NEEDS TO SCHEDULE A DIFFERENT TRACK FOR THE WORLD FINALS NEXT YEAR, A TRACK THAT CARES ABOUT ALL THE EFFORT WE, AS NHRDA COMPETITORS, GO THROUGH TO PROMOTE DIESEL MOTORSPORTS.

I, FOR ONE, WILL NOT GO TO THE WORLD FINALS NEXT YEAR IF THEY ARE HELD AT HEARTLAND PARK IN TOPEKA.[/B

Jim Calhoun

Last edited:
Thanks Jim, you just saved me some typing. I was going to say pretty much the same thing! Another item to add to it - last year in DirtyMax they wanted to send me down the track while the rain was starting, and they did send another truck that got out of shape and IIRC contacted the wall.

Sounds like I didn't miss much. Glad I didn't make the trip over to watch.

Phil Taylor and my son had a problem with the guy running the lights. He said Phil was leaking something on the track and backed him out of the lights and just set and let our truck burn down while he was talking to Phil. Totally unacceptable and unprofessional!

I'll suggest Route 66... Still central and closer to our Canadian racers as well and that track and pits is the cats meow...

Last edited:
Phil Taylor and my son had a problem with the guy running the lights. He said Phil was leaking something on the track and backed him out of the lights and just set and let our truck burn down while he was talking to Phil. Totally unacceptable and unprofessional!

Yeah I remember standing there wondering why in the hell they were letting your truck burn up like that. Pretty ridiculous.

I missed that one, but it does remind me of another issue - when the starting system was being run with Autostart off (and there is a whole other story to that issue), the starter would manually start the tree the INSTANT the stage lights were on, which basically screwed the slower truck in brackets (since he likely wasn't ready for them to start that soon). My 8-year-old could have done a better job (and would understand why it was screwing up the drivers).

I saw him trying to wave him off. I think he was a bit scared to walk in front of the truck while it was singing on the line. LOL

It sounds like not going to Topeka next year is the general consensus. Only time will tell what NHRDA is able to schedule for us, but I think Randy will be doing his best to find somewhere else to host the World Finals next year.

route 66 is an awsome track...another one to consider its kind of a smaller track but VERY well mainted and and a great shut down at the end...and welcome diesels ....byron raceway in byron illinois....

Yup I will be in Byron this weekend for a fun run with the Mustang. Great track as well, that shutdown is forever there lol

Yup I will be in Byron this weekend for a fun run with the Mustang. Great track as well, that shutdown is forever there lol

thats whats nice about it....run the rail at gld and the brakes are smoking so you dont go in the sand....

GLD hasnt changed since my dad use to race there in the 60's and 70's! That shut down would be hairy in a rail! wose case is you'll jump the highway if chit goes bad....

lol ive seen cars go sailing right over the sand trap there...its hard as a rock....route 66 would problley be the better spot idk if byron would have enough space