Heater Grid on 4BT in Dakota

ISBand4BT

I know this topic has been beat to death, but after doing a search and reading thru two pages, I haven't really come up with a good solution or way to do it. I looked into the Trombetta controller, but can't figure out where to buy it or how much it is. I have the solenoid that came with the motor, but the question is how to control it. I know based from my 01 2500 that depending on the team, depends how long it's on.

So anyone that has figured this out other than a momentary switch, please let me know. Thanks in advance.

Possibly find a sensor that closes the circuit below 30 or 35 degrees and wire that up through a relay as the signal. I also believe they make relays that are pre set for a specific time, not sure on exactly what's offered but in theory you could get one that is setup for 10-15 seconds. That would take care of the overheating/ burning things down if it decides to stay on. Of course the heavy lifting solenoid should be retained (factory from the 4bt or the dodge one on the fender)

Make sense?

I tried to find timer relays but don't think I was looking in the right place

I would put it on a small push button That's just me. Really only need them when it gets cold.

Yea... I'm trying to get away from switches.... already have enough in it right now. Haha

What about using a glow plug controller off of a 6.9 or 7.3 idi? That is what I use to control the dodge relays for my grid heater on my Cummins swap. I just used the glow plug output voltage to control the signal voltage for the Dodge relays.

I've looked into that myself from what i found it appears the early first gen Dodge pickups used a thermal switch in the intake to control the grid heaters. you could start there.

Back