HEAVY duty trailer tire info

TANKS 250

Hey guys...look at me..
I've seen alot of people asking about trailer tires over the years, load ratings, best tire, etc, etc, etc.

Here's some of the info I've compiled, and a awesome supplier.

Trailer Parts Superstore & Eastern Marine Delaware Showroom have load ranges all the way up to "H" 6,005lbs.

Here's a link to some normal size, heavy load tires.

When considering a trailer tire, here are a few important things to look at.

TIRE CONSTRUCTION TYPE - Bias Ply vs. Radial
TIRE APPLICATION TYPE - (ST) Special Trailer vs. (LT) Trailer
TIRE SIZE - % of section height / section width Refereed to as 'Aspect Ratio'
TIRE LOAD RANGE - Load carrying capacity and air pressure rating

::::NOTES:::

Inflation

Always inflate trailer tires to the maximum inflation indicated on the sidewall.
Check inflation when the tires are cool and have not been exposed to the sun.
If the tires are hot to the touch from operation, add three psi to the max inflation.
Underinflation is the number one cause of trailer tire failure.

Load Capacity:

The combined capacity of all of the tires should exceed the loaded trailer weight(GVWR) by 20 percent.

Speed

All "ST" & "LT" tires have a maximum speed rating of 65 mph.

Time

In approximately three years, roughly one-third of the tire's strength is gone.
Three to five years is the projected life of a normal trailer tire.
It is suggested that trailer tires be replaced after three to four years of service regardless of tread depth or tire appearance.
Mileage
Trailer tires are not designed to wear out.
The mileage expectation of a trailer tire is 5,000 to 12,000 miles.

These 'Special Trailer' (ST) tires have been constructed for better high speed durability and bruise resistance under heavy loads. Trailer tire construction varies substantially from automotive tires, therefore it is essential to choose the correct tire for your towing application. In general, trailer tires have the same load range (or ply) from bead to bead and are bias ply construction. This allows for a stiffer side wall which provides safer towing by helping to reduce trailer sway problems.The use of (LT) tires offer a wide range of specialized trailer tires for heavy loads on average sized wheels. LT doesn't not mean "light truck".

The use of 'Passenger Car' (P) is not recommended for towing because their construction, they normally do not have the sidewall plys, or weight rating sufficient for trailering,...usually radial or bias belted, allows for more flexible side walls. Using a "P" tire could lead to increased trailer sway and loss of control.

This is why I needed to find stronger trailer tires......this happened last week, for the second time on my Government welding trailer,...and the reason I did some tire research....

GEDC0527.jpg

GEDC0528.jpg

If you had 16" rims I would say the Goodyear commercial truck tire, they make one that is the same construction as a 19.5 or 22.5 with an all steel casing etc. Super tough tire, all the farmers around here love them.

yeah....but do the carry a weight rating up to 6,000lbs each?

yeah....I learned to read when I was about 3 years old....

LOL...just screwing with ya....

Tires with a rating to high will beat the crap out of whatever you have in the trailer...

Taking a beating, isn't near as important as being safe.

I have to worry, .... my job is to keep people safe, on the water, and on the road. Just throwing a cheap set of tires, or tires not capable of carrying the load that I have on my Government trailer, and hoping for the best, isn't an option.

If I caused and accident in a Gov. vehicle, there would be an investigation, and someone could sue the Gov. for being ignorant and not paying attention to the load capacity of the tires.....and they would be right in doing so.

So...in my case....bigger(stronger),..is better, and I'll let the suspension of the trailer take a little more abuse, rather than have a 10 car pile-up on the freeway because of a blow out,... just for the sake of being comfortable.

I buy 14 ply rated trailer tires for my trailers. With that said, I hauled cattle yesterday and got a nail in a brand new tire that has less than 250 miles on it. It don't really matter what you buy, if you drive I-40 in OKC, the most piece of crap highway ever paved by man, you will lose tires. :D

I just keep a plug kit handy...but it is a boesh trying to get a plug through a 14pl.

I think one of the single most important things to do it keep them inflated properly. Flexing causes heat. The more they flex, the more they heat, the softer they get, the more they flex, etc, etc.

Taking a beating, isn't near as important as being safe.

I have to worry, .... my job is to keep people safe, on the water, and on the road. Just throwing a cheap set of tires, or tires not capable of carrying the load that I have on my Government trailer, and hoping for the best, isn't an option.

If I caused and accident in a Gov. vehicle, there would be an investigation, and someone could sue the Gov. for being ignorant and not paying attention to the load capacity of the tires.....and they would be right in doing so.

So...in my case....bigger(stronger),..is better, and I'll let the suspension of the trailer take a little more abuse, rather than have a 10 car pile-up on the freeway because of a blow out,... just for the sake of being comfortable.

I'm not saying unsafe/underrated tires. I'm saying that more isn't always better. Mine are rated appropriately, but not excessively because the bouncing is very hard on the $20k of tools in my trailer. That I had to pay for myself.

Can we have a run-down on the trailer? Is it one, two or three axels? Does it have duals? .......info needed.

My Gov. welding trailer?...sure

28' Work and Play toyhauler.

trailerawning.jpg

000_0112.jpg

trailershop.jpg

trailerkitchen2.jpg

trailerkitchen1.jpg

trailerbathroom.jpg

11,740lbs loaded.

none of the tires in that link, that will fit are even remotely close to the load capacity I need.

The only company that has real HEAVY duty tires for trailers that will work, is the one I found ,...so far I haven't found any other company that makes what I need.

95% of people that pull trailers,..your link would work for them,...but there are some people that need more,...this thread is for the other 5% of people.

11,740lbs loaded.

So, if you have the tounge wieght correct at about 15% or so, that leaves #9979 divided by 4 = #2494. Therefore, a standard 235/85R16E, 10 ply rated tire, rated at 3042 each would be fine. $.02.

Know your tounge weight?

I think dry rott is the main failure of trailer tires. Most folks trailers like mine set for extended amounts of time then when we use them we load the hell out of them. I use my stock trailer 3 - 4 times a year, but when I use it, it has to work. So, I'm not sure it is the load rating that fails, it is the minautre cracks that cause it and that will happen with any tire. I'm thinking about getting some tire covers to keep the sun off them....cheaper than a bigger barn. :D

This is Gov trailer,..we have to be safer than most,..."would be fine" is not an option.

Our rule:
max trailer weight + 20% = the tire load rating we need.

BTW- a standard 235/85/16 won't fit,..it is too big and will hit.

The tires I found are more specialized, and heavier duty.

Better safe than sorry.

I fixed it. :D

So, if you have the tounge wieght correct at about 15% or so, that leaves #9979 divided by 4 = #2494 add 20% = 2992 per tire. Therefore, a standard 235/85R16E, 10 ply rated tire, rated at 3042 each would be fine. $.02

:hehe: Did you fail math or trying to make this more complicated that it has to be? LOL J/K