hellman performance stock fuel tank sump?

I placed mine center on the tank towards the front.

uhh...

and you're wondering why you're getting air at 1/4 tank? :confused:

it's not a true "sump", and it's not baffled, nor is your tank... so when your level gets low and the fuel sloshes to the back of the tank due to acceleration or incline, you're uncovering the inlet :(

uhh...

and you're wondering why you're getting air at 1/4 tank? :confused:

it's not a true "sump", and it's not baffled, nor is your tank... so when your level gets low and the fuel sloshes to the back of the tank due to acceleration or incline, you're uncovering the inlet :(

I agree, but I think I'd have the same problem if I mounted it towards the back. I mounted it close to the FASS, which I think is the best place. Here is a pic.

SANY0149.jpg

why do you think you would have the same problem if you mounted it near the back? you know where all the fuel goes when you accelerate, right? :eek:

I agree, but I think I'd have the same problem if I mounted it towards the back. I mounted it close to the FASS, which I think is the best place. Here is a pic.

Not using a 90* fitting (and a harsh brass one at that) into the pump would have more than offset mounting it a few feet back $.02

Is there a screen or filter that helps keep stuff from the tank in the tank like the stock pickup?

Or did you add an inline filter between the sump and the pump? (or just stick with the little inline filter that comes with the FASS, for example).

Is there a screen or filter that helps keep stuff from the tank in the tank like the stock pickup?

Or did you add an inline filter between the sump and the pump? (or just stick with the little inline filter that comes with the FASS, for example).

i run a fleet guard filter between my tank and split from the filter to both of my pumps.

Not using a 90* fitting (and a harsh brass one at that) into the pump would have more than offset mounting it a few feet back $.02

Please tell me why I shouldn't use a brass *90 fitting into the FASS, will the brass corrode??...Thanks.

the brass will be fine, I think he's referring to the sharp/square 90* fitting

drawing the fuel forward to the pump from the rear of the tank is no worse compared to drawing it up from the bottom of the tank. you still have the weight of the fuel pushing on it

Gotcha....If I ever get motivated enough I'll swap in another tank and remount it. I've only had one problem with under 1/4 tank, and thank God it was in the gas station parking lot.

Oh, and Happy Birthday Forrest!!!! :Cheer:

If you look at a 2nd gen tank in the center it bows a little.That is the best place for it hands down.It is also close to the fass.To the rear is bad ,to the front is bad.Ask me how i know.Now with it in the center i can have 1/4 or less and stop hard on a hill going down or up and the fuel pressure stays at 20.

The first time i removed the tank it was clean.The fass filters are better than the factory screen by far.I change my filters once a year.Whether they need it or not.