help 47rh rebuild with bigblues clutch upgrades

brad329

So I rebuild my trans I used big blues clutch pack upgrades with a Suncoast valve body and a triple disk converter 1st test drive the 2-3 shift makes a squeak noise and seems to slip but it will hold fine after the shift I dropped the pan and adjusted the rear band witch at the time I thought applied on the 2-3 shift drove it about 30 miles with no noise or slip what's so ever and it started doing the same thing again so I pulled the trans and replace the rear band and servo with a billet servo put all back in still makes the noise and slips ..............does the rear band apply in the 2-3 shift??? my book said no but I have seen others say it does ...... where should I go from here ?? Also it's 2wd

Last edited:
On the 2-3 shift the front band disengages and the direct pack (drum that slips over the input shaft during assembly) engages for 3rd

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My friends did that too and it was the sprag in the very bottom of the main case was letting loose

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Also when I put smooth clutches in the direct pack not the waffle ones could it be that the Trans fluid is not escaping from between them fast enough

Like stated above, the front band engages for 2nd gear only. The rearmost wide 3 piece band AKA Low/Reverse band only engages in low (manual 1st gear) and reverse.

If you didn't pull the low/reverse drum when building the tranny, it's very likely the sprag behind the low/reverse drum has issues either the sprag is failing or the race is turning in the case.

Like stated above, the front band engages for 2nd gear only. The rearmost wide 3 piece band AKA Low/Reverse band only engages in low (manual 1st gear) and reverse.

If you didn't pull the low/reverse drum when building the tranny, it's very likely the sprag behind the low/reverse drum has issues either the sprag is failing or the race is turning in the case.

Will, this thread gives me nightmares. :D

Twice got all forward gears but lost reverse. then gave it to a friend who builds them for a living and he couldn't find any thing wrong dropped vb went through it, still didn't find anything wrong. Put vb back on and it had reverse??? The guys been building trans for 30 yrs and he was impressed with your clutch pack arrangements said he doesn't know why they weren't built that way from the factory.

I have about 1000 miles on it now with the stock stall and its smoke free around town. I'm going to put Hyd fliid in it to get a couple hubdred rom tighter otherwise mission accomplished.

Last edited: