Help ASAP!

SuperDave4x4

popcorn playa
I'm changing my brakes and I want to have my rotors turned, but I don't know what size the nut is that holds the caliper and studs on. I know it's bigger than 1 5/16". I need to know fast!!

well I got he nut off, BUT I can't get my rotors off!!!!!!!!!!!!! This is pissing me off very badly! Any ideas on how to get the rotors off???

btw its and 1 11/16" socket.

Uh, if I'm not mistaken, you get to remove the hub assembly first before you take the rotors off (the back side)......

Have fun. :D

Not going anywhere for a while? :hehe:

original_right.jpg

The rotors can very hard to get off. Most dealers turn the rotors on the truck.
Spray Kroil on the rotors and tap on them carefully.

SuperDave4x4 said:
Where can I get some kroil? Also what is it? Thanks Billy.

Kroil = penetrating oil...

PB Blaster would be another option as well..

Wait.

Seriously?

Your joking about removing the nut.. to get the rotors off.. Right?

I've never done mine.. But shouldn't they just be held in place by those little tabs that slide over the wheel studs? Remove the calipers and then remove the rotor?

I really hope you don't have to take everything apart just to get the rotars off.. Sounds like a job I would pay some schmuck to do. :)

it isn't just the 99's... We did a buddies 97 and it was the same.. I thought they changed after a certain year but I'm not certain which year.

Impact and socket removes wheel lugs.
Air rachet and 3/8 (i think) allen removes the calipers.
Remove cotter pin and nut.
Pull off the rotor and remove the front bearing.
Put the nut back on the spindle and put the rotor back on. Slide the rotor towards you and jerk the rear seal out. Then remove rear bearing.

...If you have the right tools out and ready, it literally takes about 3-5 minutes to remove the wheel, caliper bearings etc...
:Cheer:

You will have pull the hubs of and remove the wheel studs that is what holds the rotor to the hub.My advice would be to go to a set of drilled and slotted rotors most of them have a life time warranty against warping and cracking.I got mine at napa and love them.It also makes it easier to go back together you just use the old rotor facing up slam your new rotor on top of it facing down and pound in your wheel studs.Make sure you use a torque wrench on the lug nut when you go back together that way you know the wheel studs are seated good luck.

SuperDave4x4 said:
It's 2000 I beleive.

You would be correct, sir...Year 2000 = slide off rotors

1999...not so much.....but then again, you are well aware of that now...:D