help brand new ats trans problem

smokin96

new to the site so i hope that i put this in the right place.

i just got my brand new ats stage 2 trans with triple disc converter put in my truck last night and the od light was on and it worked like i had turned it off. after it sat over night i took it down the road and it worked fine untill i turned then it did the same thing again and the trans temp light was on. I parked the truck for a few hours and once everything was cool i took it down the road again and it worked fine made a turn and still worked as i was slowing down to turn on to the dirt road i live on the od light came on and as i was going down the dirt road the trans temp light came on again.

I called ats and they said that the guy i need to talk to would call me back in a few min and the was 6 hours ago.

Has anyone had this problem i need any advice

With being naive enough to buy an ATS and expect it to hold my big ferd power?

Yes, I had that problem.

With ATS not returning calls after it started gettin quirky?

Yes, had that problem over the course of a few months.

Ultimately, I was in colorado for a couple of weeks with work, so I drove my rental up to denver on an off day and stood in the lobby until somebody talked to me. That part took some patience, the guy at the counter seemed dead set on tellin me to have a shop contact them (did that after the initial phone call, and they wouldn't call him back either), and then waiting me out.

A couple hours later I left with a box of parts.

It's harder to not return calls face to face.

In the meantime, make sure your cooler ain't plugged.

If only people searched about ATS problems BEFORE they bought from that hell hole.

This story sounds familiar......

Make sure you don't have a line plugged, or filter.

This same thing happened to me on a different trans when the filter filled up with TC shavings. Do you have an actual trans temp gauge?

no i do not have the trans temp gauge hooked up. everything worked fine before i changed the trans just it slipped

Did you flush the cooler and lines when you installed the new trans?

It could be a solenoid getting clogged up.

no i did not flush it out it was 3 in the morning and we forgot to do that before the lines were hooked back up

100 bucks says that's your problem. Pull the pan and solenoids and blow them out. Then flush the lines and cooler. If you have the funds just do an aftermarket cooler and be done. Also change your trans filter.

Last edited:
ok thanks i will give that a shot and for now i have to keep the stock filter all my money went to buying the trans. to flush the cooler do i just blow it out with air or is there something i should use to clean it out?

sorry about that i maent the i have to keep the stock cooler not the stock filter

Yea i figured that's what you meant. You can do it that way. I know on the Allison there is something called the hoot-method. This is when you use the allison as a flusher and pull the cooler return line, put it in a bucket and keep running new synthetic fluid though the trans till you have clean stuff coming out the return.

Using synthetic will act as a cleanser and eat away at the old junky residue thus pushing it through the lines. This is probably the reason why you clogged up everything in the first place.

You can do something similar with the dodge. I am curious why the temp light, and OD lights are coming on when your turning. That sounds like a wiring issue to me, but the cooler cleaning is an easy thing to do and should be done anyway.

it does not seem to be wiring just the fact that i drove it and when i stop and go to take off again it does this

thanks zach mike from ats called and said it sounds like the transducer for the temp light is bad making the truck think it is getting hot so he is overnighting me a new one