Help Building Traction Bars!!!

$20...
SA-53 B ERW is cheap. DOM tubing for a compression strut is overkill. Higher yield stress does almost nothing for resisting compressive buckling.

yea i hear ya. i pay $30 for the dom, for the extra $10 bucks it's worth it to me to say they are dom ya know. i've been thinking about building a few sets and seeing if i could sell em'.

Why are a couple of you saying don't preload the bars? I have mine cranked about 2 turns.I've only had them on for a month or so.I'm gonna back them off some and do a ride comparrison but I had no intention of running them with no laod.

i just re-installed them with very little load, and still a little hop? maby a 4-link would be better??????

here are dodgeram2500's

newstuffandthings018.jpg

newstuffandthings026.jpg

newstuffandthings027.jpg

newstuffandthings028.jpg

i just ordered 4 large heim joints, and got some 1.5 od .25 wall dom, and 2 od .25 wall dom to sleve the small stuff. got the tubing for free!!! i have been wanting to change them because they drag on the ground sometimes. any reason i couldn't use my existing brackets?

only issue you will have w/ your existing brackets is the width of them. the heims are prolly only 1.5"-2" wide and those bushing you have are more like 3-4". i would run some spacers in there to take up the gap. why not just try cutting out those lower bars first and just leave the uppers.

edit: wait, how do you plan on sleeving them w/ 2" when you are using a 1.5" od bar. maybe i misunder stood you. but you would need to sleeve a 1.5" od bar w/ a 1.5" id bar no?

the 2 inch bar is .25 thick, so 1.5 i.d. when i first built them i only had one bar and none of the lower stuff. the bars are so long that i could grab onto them and shake them 1-2 in back and forth. the bushings are super hard, the sleve is very tight, and the bolts fit perfect in the bushing sleve. no play there. i could make spacers no problem for the heims. the heims i got use a 1 inch bolt, and some of my tubing is 1.5 o.d. .25 wall, thus 1in i.d.. great for spacers. its what i used on my rock buggy i am building, and they worked great.

1lowdiesel,

I hope you don't get stuck on a curb...wow.

Why-o-why built them that way?

i originally only had a single bar. but it was way too flexible. so i needed to brace them somehow. they only drag over big bumps, it is driven only on the street so i was not worried about ground clearance

a lot less than lazzar, but we are REALLY backed up, until late jan as of right now

Back