Help choosing scan tool and service manual

Baron85

I just picked up a 2001 2500 cummins complete truck to use as a donor vehicle for my 2002 f350 that I'm collecting parts for a cummins swap. The truck has 330k miles and supposedly was rebuilt around 270k. Truck is hard to start but runs great once running.

I would like recommendations for a good scan tool that will work for both trucks and show live data from sensors. I'm currently leaning toward the auto ingenuity. Can anyone give feedback on that system? Would I need the advanced cd's for ford and dodge or will the basic system work? Is there another system that is preferred? Not looking to spend mega money but need a scanner that works and provides needed data to diagnose vehicles. More than just read and clear etc'

Second question is service manual. I found the tech authority service cd's but not sure which ones I need for the motor and wiring harness. Do i need the general service manual or the power train trouble shooting manual, or both? And does the techauthority have the trouble shooting "tree" for the dtc codes?

Thank you for all the help and guidance.

I've had Good luck with autoenginuity on my Ford, haven't bought the Dodge bundle yet though.

I have found plenty good to be said on the ford side but haven't found much on the dodge side, and nothing for the older dodge trucks. On autoenginuity site, the enhanced bundle says something along the lines of best results with 2006 and up cummins. I was hoping someone here would have experience with them. I plan on calling them next week as well.