Help deciding which tranny

Smokin-1993

I have a 2004 2500 srw. 206,000 miles, no tuner and im on TC number 3 and tranny rebuild number 3.

I've looked at all the Cummins to???? adapter plates and im having trouble deciding what to throw in it. I don't want a manual because I don't want to install all the extra junk.

I've looked the Allison AT545 that came in the grain trucks, living on a farm I have a couple. Only thing is its 4 speed with no overdrive but on the plus the 1st gear is like 3:45:1. Im also not sure about my ecm recognizing it so anyone's opinion on this tranny and the ecm issue would be great or whatever tranny yall think would be good.

Wooo

If you are on Tranny number 3 with only 206K and no tuner, your Tranny guy is Screwing you. I think you need to find a good Builder close to you and talk to them vs. going nuts and switching to an Allison. Where are you located that will help the folks here narrow your options down.

I do not know you but perhaps you will like this one.

image_zps01d34d60.jpg

No tuner now. I had a Superchip flashpaq set on performance and it did spend a lot of time in front a 3 axle pintle hitch. Im in western KY almost at the TN/Mo line. This truck does anything from get groceries to pull the horse trailer or get chained to the front a stuck semi.

I cant drop 4000+ on a built tranny

Hmm.... tugging on 80k plus that's stuck.

Maybe another cheap build and a tranny temp gauge.

Not necessarily stuck just needs a good jolt most of the time. I got this big yellow thing called a cat for the stuck ones haha.

I really just want something bullet proof from the go, cheaply available like the at545 and with lowish gearing but preferably with a lock up tc

ok I deserved that last one. Just help point in the direction of a good tranny to get away from this dodge trap. im even considering a 7 speed spicer.

You're gonna be more money in a swap than getting a built 48re.

1st Question Are you willing to Pull it out and install it yourself? If so there are several Vendors here that will send you a unit ready to go, simply pull yours and ship it back.

If not I'll need a more accurate location to get you in touch with a good shop.

Support CompD Vendors....They keep the lights and heat on.

Firepunk has great prices and I haven't seen a single complaint from anyone running one.

Sent from my KFSOWI using Tapatalk

Last edited:
I will pull and install myself. Do all my own work, im even willing to build mine as it seems cheaper to build mine than buy one built to the hilt.

Estrada5.9 what seems biased to you?

Back