Help guys

Btp 2332

My friend called me this morning at 5am and said his 04 LLY was towing a 5th wheel down the freeway and it lost all power. He got it off the side of the road. He says the exhaust isnt blowing any blue or white smoke, also said that when he starts it sometimes it sounds smooth sometimes it sounds like a box of rocks is in the engine. Truck has oil pressure. Truck has exhaust and edge ez on it. I asked him to check for codes and he said he took the edge off before the tow truck gets there to take it to the shop. He held the phone to it and it seemed alittle lopey to me. Any help would be appreciated hes stuck a few states away from home.

My friend called me this morning at 5am and said his 04 LLY was towing a 5th wheel down the freeway and it lost all power. He got it off the side of the road. He says the exhaust isnt blowing any blue or white smoke, also said that when he starts it sometimes it sounds smooth sometimes it sounds like a box of rocks is in the engine. Truck has oil pressure. Truck has exhaust and edge ez on it. I asked him to check for codes and he said he took the edge off before the tow truck gets there to take it to the shop. He held the phone to it and it seemed alittle lopey to me. Any help would be appreciated hes stuck a few states away from home.

I suggest getting rid of the edge. They can cause all kind of fun.
Then check the fuel filter for being tight. Has he changed the filter in awhile. Does it have a lift pump? If it does is he sure it is working? It that does not fix it I would tell him to have the injector harness looked at.

Johnboy thanks for the reply I called him and told him what you said. He doesnt have a lift pump on it. He talked to his brother in law or somebody at chevy and they think maybe he dropped a valve or valve seat etc?

Johnboy thanks for the reply I called him and told him what you said. He doesnt have a lift pump on it. He talked to his brother in law or somebody at chevy and they think maybe he dropped a valve or valve seat etc?

I highly doubt they dropped a valve or a valve seat. The aluminuim heads having issues like that are old internet fables. Is there blow by smoke coming from the oil fill cap if you remove the oil fill cap with it idling?

Last edited:
I suggest getting rid of the edge. They can cause all kind of fun.
Then check the fuel filter for being tight. Has he changed the filter in awhile. Does it have a lift pump? If it does is he sure it is working? It that does not fix it I would tell him to have the injector harness looked at.

X2, Id ditcht the edge, and have the injector harness checked. Give me a ring if ya need any help Brian. Ill PM ya my number!

I told him to put the edge back on and check for codes before it got towed, I could hear the flatbed backing up to him when I was on the phone I guess he had it towed to a dealer and didnt want the edge on it when it went in. There giving him trouble with his warranty I guess hes 2 months out. I will keep you posted on what he says the dealer thinks it is.

i would try the ice pick trick on 2 and 7 inj harness plug in's. it's easy to do. and is a known problem on that truck. the plug connections become loose and by sticking the plugs in the right spot it tightens up the connections. also theye do sell a repair kit at chevy for this problem.

My buddy just called, Johnboy and Caleb nailed it. Injector harness $450. Even tho his truck was out 2 months from warranty he says they replaced it. Thanks alot guys for your help.

My buddy just called, Johnboy and Caleb nailed it. Injector harness $450. Even tho his truck was out 2 months from warranty he says they replaced it. Thanks alot guys for your help.

Glad he is getting taken car of.