Help me figure out what this annoying noise is!

barry1me

ever since I installed my Volant exhaust, welded shut my egr, and blew my intercooler pipe, I have had an annoying air swooshing noise when I start making boost, and when I let off from making boost( instead of a turbo fart). BTW I did replace the inner cooler pipe so I dont think its that. I think I have a leak somewhere in my system but I cant figure out where its from. What really weird is when I run my latest looney tune I dont get the noise (and I get a rather loud turbo fart) but when I run my tow tune, econ tune, and an old looney file I get the noise (and no turbo fart). With my econ tune, and tow aggressive tune I cant get more then 20PSI max, my looney will get to 29-30 at about 90 mph. Any thoughts?

Check the boot that connects the turbo to the hot-side pipe. They love to blow out on the lower back side....out of sight.

UNBROKEN said:
Check the boot that connects the turbo to the hot-side pipe. They love to blow out on the lower back side....out of sight.

thanks man will do...I was hoping you would chime in! How do my boost numbers sound?

Maybe just a hair low....easily explained though if you have a small leak somewhere.

boot.jpg

Mooring Product said:
http://photos.gogodiesel.com/data/500/medium/boot.jpg[/QUOTE]

What were the symptoms? Did you replace it with the OE boot?

That 1 boot is kinda wierd...as far as I know Ford is the only source for it.
Have you checked to see if that's your issue yet ?

UNBROKEN said:
That 1 boot is kinda wierd...as far as I know Ford is the only source for it.
Have you checked to see if that's your issue yet ?

no Im going to take a look at lunch. The only thing that seems odd to me is why does my looney not make the noise, and the tow/econ file does?

I replaced mine with the factory boot. Not sure what to tell you about the tunes. What you should do is take off your boots and clean them. I had another boot that was pinched from the clamp not being on right. I changed it also just to be sure I wouldn't have anymore problems. I found DAWN dish washer detergent works amazing on grease.

alright I cant make more then 18lbs of boost with stock, or tow aggressive file, but I can make 26lbs with looney???? Im going to climb under the hood and try and figure this out.

barry1me said:
alright I cant make more then 18lbs of boost with stock, or tow aggressive file, but I can make 26lbs with looney???? Im going to climb under the hood and try and figure this out.

FWIW...I can make 21-22 psi stock and nearly 40 PSI on the Extreme tune from Innovative.

my 7.3 blew a boot that looked kinda like unbroken's but mine was ripped more to shreds, it dropped my boost from the stock 16-18 to 10-12... i know it's not a 6.0 but it's the same symptons and the same type of boot

well I pulled my boots off and there was a 1/2" crack on the turbo side boot. Im thinking that little crack may be expanding during high boost....thoughts? By the way my truck is now making this terribly loud wistle and the pitch changes with boost. Im wondering if my turbo bearings are bad!?