Help me understand shift kits

ctd2001

I just had my transmission rebuilt in a 96 dodge and i had a Transgo TFOD shift kit installed along with a new better then stock converter. Now my question is why are the shift points now so early. The truck will shift into third gear before i hit 15mph under light throttle, like driving in traffic ect. The trans wont donwshift into first gear untill the truck as at a near stop, hence there is alot of slow speed driving being done in 3rd gear which is putting more strain on the trans then neccessary. I can manually shift the gears with the colum shifter and that gets old quick. If i take off from a stop under moderate throttle the shifts will occur around 1700 RPMs which is better and where i would like them to be but driving like that in traffic just doesnt happen unless you want to be on the brakes all the time. So are there springs that control the shifting points in the valve body? I guess the shift kit did not come with new shift point springs, just new line pressure springs. Before the rebuild the tranny shifted later on in the rpm range like 1800 RPMs or so and it would downshift to first around 12mph or so. I just trying to understand this better because i dont have a clue when it comes to the valve bodies and how they function, thanks

Last edited:
guys could this be related to improper TV cable adjustment?

I know the TV cable controls upshifts but what does it do to downshifts?

The kit comes with 2 different springs i believe. One for the 12 valve and one for the 24v. I think the 24v spring would be better because it raises the shift points some. Mine always shifted early too when i had my transgo.

I still have the 3rd gear problem though. I have to be about stopped to get out of 3rd gear when im slowing down. Either that or really crawl on the pedal. I need to try and figure it out.

yeah, i cant stand that it doesnt shift out of 3rd untill i am stopped. I hate taking off from a low speed in third, it lugs the motor and the tranny temps run alot warmer. Thanks for the input