HELP, truck cranks but wont start.

JediMindTricks

Young Gun
whats up fella's
sunday i was letting the truck warm up and out of no where it just shut off. I went to restart it and the ground wire on the starter caught on fire. I was able to put it out. I check all the surrounding wiring and nothing got torched, just the ground wire to the starter. I replaced the starter and now the truck will only crank. I have checked all the fuses/relays in the truck pulled the fuel filter and also cracked injectors. I am throwing no codes at all. I did the key trick and also hooked up a code scanner and nothing. I am really fustrated with this and looking on some other possible insight. Any and ALL help would be much appricated.

Thanks,
Matt

Dont know why there would be a fuel issue but i've seen stranger things, do you have gauges for fuel psi ? recheck ALL fuses

Oh believe me I have, even fuses that have nothing to do with the engine like wiper blade motor lol. No I don't have a fuel gauge that's on the list but its flowing pretty hard out of the injectors when I cracked them. Idk this is just really fusterating and I'm stumpped for clues. Right now any suggestion other then what I tried couldn't hurt!

The fuel pressure still needs to be known.
If you have an old R12 Freon install kit w/gauge, you can use it to check the lift pump fuel pressure, otherwise kits are avalable at most chain type auto parts stores.

Don't forget to close the fill valve.
Image048.jpg

Image042.jpg

Screw the connector on the fitting of the injector pump on the driver's side of the engine.
Turn the keyswitch just enough to "bump" the starter to get The Free 25 Second Lift Pump Run.

Image046.jpg

Stock spec is 10psi+, most folks look for 15psi.

ok you could have a multitude of issues, but from what costs the least to most expensive--after you check fuel pressure--quick way is to open the drain on the fuel filter and crank it---if it blasts out of there you are probably ok, but if there's little to no pressure then your fuel pump is toast....also the key trick doesn't work on your truck for retrieving codes......

change out the overflow valve on the vp
cam shaft position sensor
crankshaft position sensor
tps

this is where I'd start, then it's vp or maybe the ecm--possibly leaking o-rings on the crossovers and --but I'm guessing if it's not one of the above previously mentioned and if your lift pump is good the vp is toast----good luck----I may be forgetting something else, but this is where I'd start....chris

hey guys i know i'm getting back late but i've pin pointed the issue to a beat vp. I had mentioned to someone that when I would crank it to start there would just be white smoke coming out of the exhaust. I then listened to my lift pump prime and I could barley here it, ( its mounted to the side of the engine). So i have a new vp on the way as we speak and hope to get it on the road asap!

ok i'm fed up fianlly got a new vp on the truck and it still is doing the samething. and i triple check that the key way was in while replaceing the injection pump, and more ideas fella's? btw its smokeing out of the intake as well.

LP dead? did you replace that too?
What's your FP? Looks like you might have just wasted $1000.

nah the lift pump is good, i just put on a airdog 100 with it and it's deff pumping fuel out

and there is no smoke coming out of the turbo

i just went out and and doing the reset on it as we speak, would a apps really keep the truck from running?

Well did you even try a apps test? Dude, i worked hard on posting that info. Open the freaking thing!!!

someone told me that it's a timing issue? but where else could the truck fall off timing if the key is properly inserted into the keyway?