HELP, truck cranks but wont start.

well i bled the system for like the millionth time and still no start i'm stumped? sounds like it wants to start and its popping like it want to it just doesnt want to catch? anymore idea's fella's?

I would be looking into a ECM. Does the wait to start light come right on? I just had one that was delayed in everytime you wait on the light it would turn lift pump on in truck would fire up. If you just started cranking it would not start. Just a idea.

did you replace the things I mentioned also--start with the overflow valve and go from there...chris

I would be looking into a ECM. Does the wait to start light come right on? I just had one that was delayed in everytime you wait on the light it would turn lift pump on in truck would fire up. If you just started cranking it would not start. Just a idea.

The wait to start light comes on as soon as i turn the key to the on position. Right as that happens the liftpump comes on for its few second prime. Wouldn't i get a indecation if the Ecm was effed via scanner? It connects with the truck and everything. Nothing leads me to otherwise suspect.

And chris, I had replaced the outflow valve with a brand new one when i replaced the injection pump and everything on it checked out good.
I keep trying to repeat the basic's and everything keeps checking out good. I mean essentially for a diesel to start you need Air and fuel. and it's got me stumped!:doh:

The wait to start light comes on as soon as i turn the key to the on position. Right as that happens the liftpump comes on for its few second prime. Wouldn't i get a indecation if the Ecm was effed via scanner? It connects with the truck and everything. Nothing leads me to otherwise suspect.

And chris, I had replaced the outflow valve with a brand new one when i replaced the injection pump and everything on it checked out good.
I keep trying to repeat the basic's and everything keeps checking out good. I mean essentially for a diesel to start you need Air and fuel. and it's got me stumped!:doh:

and timing

so the camshaft position sensor and crankshaft position sensor are good??

mixed up the injector lines??? can you compare to a buddies truck--you can easily switch a couple of them at the VP and think you are right and not be, almost happened to me once-

try some wd40 or ether on the air filter and see if she'll start--may take a few shots to get it to get it to take off--if it starts then you know it's a definite fuel delivery problem.....chris

so the camshaft position sensor and crankshaft position sensor are good??

mixed up the injector lines??? can you compare to a buddies truck--you can easily switch a couple of them at the VP and think you are right and not be, almost happened to me once-

try some wd40 or ether on the air filter and see if she'll start--may take a few shots to get it to get it to take off--if it starts then you know it's a definite fuel delivery problem.....chris

yea man both sensors are good, when i removed the lines i removed them bunched together just unbolted them from the intake mani and valve cover and back of the injection pump so it would be impossbile to mix them up.

and it's smokeing out both the intake and the exhaust, but it just looks like burnt fuel. I'm worried about giving it a shot of either just because of the bad stuff i hear could happen. I mean its highly unlikly that it takes like 3 hours worth of cranking to work all the air out of the system. But i did replace everything the Inj pump and the lift pump.

shouldn't take even close to that long to fire it up----so you have tons of fuel at the injectors, but it won't fire---

that would suggest a bad ECM or PCM or bad pump or timing is off or toasted valves, rings, pistons--i think you can rule out the last 3 cuz the truck was running fine until it died---

to double check the lift pump you can open the drain valve on the filter and crank it over if the fuel is blasting then you have a good lift pump, but if it's dribbling with little to no pressure then that's bad---the vp can look like it's flowing a ton, but in reality it may not be flowing enough to pop the injectors---so without a guage that's how I check them---have you done that---need to make sure all the small stupid things aren't an issue before you move on---chris

shouldn't take even close to that long to fire it up----so you have tons of fuel at the injectors, but it won't fire---

that would suggest a bad ECM or PCM or bad pump or timing is off or toasted valves, rings, pistons--i think you can rule out the last 3 cuz the truck was running fine until it died---

to double check the lift pump you can open the drain valve on the filter and crank it over if the fuel is blasting then you have a good lift pump, but if it's dribbling with little to no pressure then that's bad---the vp can look like it's flowing a ton, but in reality it may not be flowing enough to pop the injectors---so without a guage that's how I check them---have you done that---need to make sure all the small stupid things aren't an issue before you move on---chris

Thanks man, and i have an airdog 100 and yea when i first bled that out it blasted fuel EVERYWHERE! lol but yea i understand, it deff sounds like the truck is trying to fire esp the poping sound it's making like it wants to fire, where as before with the old vp it was such a hallow sound like just the motor was spinning and nothing was happening. and the fuel is squirting out at a pretty good rate but maybe i'm closeing them up too early? Like as soon as i see fuel flow they are closed and someone suggested i should wait like 5 seconds so the pump can make a couple of revolutions? does that sound pretty accurate?

Was the end of the crankshaft position sensor stock looking or did it look like it was getting rubbed by something rough?

When my ecm went south it diddnt give a code.The truck just started acting stupid.Free rev to 2000 back down and codes that were not possible like stone cold engine and overheating code etc.

hmmm, well i've been checking everything and i have concluded that its a timing issue or ecm. its going to the shop sometime this week for a deffinate answer.

KDP baby, well glad i found the problem. Now time to fix it provided the motor isn't totally smoked. I know every single push rod is bent in the motor so lets see how this pans out.

glad you found it---yea the early 24v's are prone to the KDP just like the 12vers....

yea i thought they were but wasn't 100% i know mid way in 99 or o they changed the case and got rid of the KDP. I hoping that at worst it wiped out the whole valvetrain and maybe the timing gears. Not trying to drop a whole new longblock in the truck in here is DE they are very scarse.

Back