Help wanted with a 1998 12 valve cummins; gauges quit; transmission stuck in low gear

12valve cummins

Hi,

I have a 1998 12 valve cummins; All my gauges have quit and my transmission is stuck in low gear. Is anyone familiar with this issue? If so, please post possible solutions!

Thanks!

Kind of sounds like a PCM issue. Do you have the wait to start and water in fuel lights coming on, when you turn the key to the run position? The staying in first gear would mean the PCM would have to be grounding the gov solenoid output, and also grounding the power train relay output(unless you have the relay jumpered)

Hows your charging system? I've seen alternators go out and do squirly stuff like this. Seen it happen on a 01, and seen it happen on big trucks as well. Check to see what its putting out as far as voltage and amperage.

dont know if your dogde is like my 97 chevy, but on mine the speedometer plug in the tranny came undone and the speedo wouldnt work and the tranny wouldnt shift out of first gear. Worth a shot to check the rear end where the speedo plugs in.

dont know if your dogde is like my 97 chevy, but on mine the speedometer plug in the tranny came undone and the speedo wouldnt work and the tranny wouldnt shift out of first gear. Worth a shot to check the rear end where the speedo plugs in.

Good idea, made me think of something. If the 5V system has a short in it, you won't get a speedo reading off of the output shaft speed sensor, and you won't build any governor pressure, and it will stay in first gear.

Back