Help with adding lift pump

dJASIIK

Hey guys, I got a buddy with a 05 D-max that wants to add a lift pump. Im from the dodge crowd so I need alittle help doing this. I was looking at adding a pump inline on the frame rail. On my dodge I run a walbro pump, but its regulated to 17psi. What is ideal pressure for a duramax? Also were is everyone getting there voltage supply for the pump from? These trucks dont have a factory lift pump correct?

Nope no factroy lift pump. I got my voltage from my jumper post under the hood which feeds a relay inside the truck. My relay is activated when the key is turned forward. I also have mine set up on a hobs switch so it tuns on at 11psi and shuts off at anything below that and a swing check valve to keep the fuel flowing in the right direction when the pump is on/off. Depending on which pump you go with some are a flow through so if the pump dies the truck won't.

Thanks for the reply, I would like to find a flow thru since he uses the truck to drive to work which is pretty far out of town. Im still researching the max PSI, I know my walbro is supposed to put out around 80psi but is regulated for my dodge. The hobs switch is a good idea, where are you taking the psi reading at? I would like to put a guage somewhere like a test port just to read the psi after the pump is installed just to make sure everything is ok. He is running the banks six gun with the PDA but I didnt ask him if it would read a fuel pressure. I wouldnt think it would since there isnt a factory lift pump. Anyone running the holley pumps? Im relating this back to dodges again, but the guys that I know running them just slap them on they put out around 20psi. Only problem with it that low on the duramax is without a gauge you still dont know if its doing any good at WOT. Its hard to compare two different engines that use the psi different.

A PPE pump is a good option and so is TTS pumps. You can get a guage to test the pressure from Kennedy diesel.