help with white smoke please

bluelineranch

Hey everyone I'm new to this forum, I must say I am very impressed with everyones mechanical knowledge I've searched here and cummins forum:wrong: for the past three days trying to figure out whats wrong with my pickup and finally decided to ask...
I am seeing grey smoke, and a lot, this only happens when i have reached operating temperatures and over long distance drives, the pickup uses no oil according to the dip stick, but there is some soot/grime in the intake manifold. if this were rings wouldnt I be using oil? its not the head gasket (no oil antifreeze mix) i am leaning toward something in the head simply because i have no where else to turn. any help would be appreciated I've spent too much keyboard time trying to figure this out

oh the pickup is a 2000 cummins with 230xxx miles, edge juice, exhaust, quad intake, and bosch rv275 injectors about 6000 miles ago and a banks highram if that helps

the vp is just as old as the truck, I did the valves aprox 9k miles ago, they were all tight which I was told is normal, this only started recently like a month ago or so

the vp is just as old as the truck, I did the valves aprox 9k miles ago, they were all tight which I was told is normal, this only started recently like a month ago or so

What did you set them at? Too tight will cause the problem you are having.

no power loss at all, i set them to cummins specs, I don't have the shop manual now that I am out of school so I don't know exactly

Ok here are the standard questions.
What's your Fuel Pressure?
Any codes?
Coolant level changed at all?
& why is this posted in this forum?

fuel pressure is @15 psi
no codes
no coolant level change
it is in this forum because it is an engine question, I went to school for diesel technology and my knowledge nor my instructors was sufficient, after searching the web and other forums for over a month I have found no answers, and the people here seem to know their stuff very well (I wish I knew half of what you forgot lol) Im not just some jacka** looking to waste every ones time I just need some help about something other than making smoke, is there somewhere better to post this? I dont want to blow something up if i can avoid it...

And a big Thank You to everyone who is trying to help!!! I understand you are going out of your way to help a newb and really appreciate it

ps I hope this doesnt require a retard to english translator :lolly:

it is in this forum because it is an engine question, I went to school for diesel technology and my knowledge nor my instructors was sufficient, after searching the web and other forums for over a month I have found no answers, and the people here seem to know their stuff very well (I wish I knew half of what you forgot lol) Im not just some jacka** looking to waste every ones time I just need some help about something other than making smoke, is there somewhere better to post this? I dont want to blow something up if i can avoid it...

I think what Scott was getting at is why is it in Extreme Engine tech, as opposed to the 98-02 section.

Did you actually use a code reader or cycle the key?
Just because the check engine light is not on does not mean you do not have codes. Sounds like a VP going out to me.

It's posted in the wrong forum is what he's getting at, I'll move it when I get a minute.

I think what Scott was getting at is why is it in Extreme Engine tech, as opposed to the 98-02 section.

Exactly what i was getting at. Wasn't bustin your ballz.:wrong:
You'll get more exposure & help in the 24V 98-02 forum. Not in the Extreme Engine forum.

no power loss at all, i set them to cummins specs, I don't have the shop manual now that I am out of school so I don't know exactly

Spec is 10intake 20exh.

The reason I ask is, you should not have any diesel/oil on the intake side of the head. That means the valves are too tight, and opening too early for a proper combustion cycle therefore not burning the fuel correctly, causing the white smoke and the residue in the intake. It could also be oil from a leaking turbocharger.

I would recheck the valves, if it doesn't clear up, have the injectors pop tested and reset. Then if that doesn't help, you can start looking towards the pump, do the expensive stuff last.

ok thank you guys I appreciate it a bunch, it does not smell like diesel, I will do the valves today or tomorrow, there was an apps code, from when I pulled off the throttle position sensor but thats it, I appreciate all of your input guys! you sure do know your stuff sorry about posting in the wrong place, I'm still getting this site figured out.

i've seen some timing problems cause the same thing. in this case it would be the pump.